Need a pool deck for a mesh cover

NOVApool

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 29, 2014
Northern Virginia
Greetings,

Love the forum and I've already learned a ton about pool chemistry. We recently acquired an in ground, colored plaster pool with approximately 12" copings around the side. We need to get a mesh cover for the little one (possibly little ones in the future), but the dealer said that the loop lock cover pipes would stick up approximately 4" from the yard as is, and gave us quotes on brushed concrete, stamped concrete, and flagstone decks. He said we would need to add at least 3 feet from the edge of the copings to provide a flush surface that would allow the Loop Loc piping to be concealed from feet.

Our yard isn't huge and the pool already takes up a good portion, so we'd like to keep as much green space as possible, so I was wondering if anybody had thoughts on any of these options:

1) Raising the soil level so that the ground is flush with the copings, allowing the pipes to be concealed like an automatic sprinkler system. I believe this could be a problem as a certain percentage of the pipes need to be installed something solid for the safety effect.

2) Placing strategic stones where the pipes need to be to provide a more stable surface. Still not sure if this would actually provide enough structural support.

3) Only surrounding a smaller portion of the pool with the 3' deck than its entire perimeter, for instance doing the sides and back but leaving the front more open.

4) Any other good advice? Assuming a full 3' deck I think with the nature of our yard we'd lean towards the stamped concrete or flagstone instead of brushed concrete. I know pavers are another option but I assume those would be pretty expensive with our pool shape.

Here are some pictures, keep in mind these are ridiculous wide lens pictures from a realtor to make the yard/pool look way bigger than they actually are.

View attachment 33343View attachment 33344

Hopefully those pictures upload correctly.

Thanks again!

I don't know if you can do this - but we will have a similar issue if we want a mesh cover. My thought is to dig a footer column like if you were going to put in a post, and pour a concrete footer, then embed the tie for the mesh cover in that. If you slightly recess it, and its small enough, grass will grow enough to hide it somewhat. Its also not something you can stub a toe on if its recessed in grass.

Alternately if you are doing it solely for safety as opposed to keeping leaves out, what about a safety fence? That would just need small sleeves in the ground, and could be removed to be stowed when you don't need it. I think you can still keep leaves out with a floating non-secured cover.

I love the look of your pool, its just the look we've been going for in building ours. Its so natural, snuggled in the landscaping. I would be vehemently opposed to adding concrete on ours.

Those are both great ideas BB. We're pretty set on the mesh cover for the winter so unfortunately I think the safety fence wouldn't quite make sense.

However, we love that concrete footer idea, I'm gonna research into that to see if it would work, because realistically I feel that should be fairly cheap and also as unobtrusive as possible.

We also love the look of the backyard. The former owners were pretty cheap on some stuff but they definitely splurged on a pretty awesome pool especially for a lot this size. I grew up with a brushed concrete deck and I think on 90% of pools they look great but I just don't think it would work on ours.

Update: Just called Loop-Loc, and they said the concrete footers are perfectly adequate. They recommend them if over 35% of your pipes would be installed in dirt. Thanks again for that idea BB!

Last edited:
Oh awesome. And good to know as we will have to cross this bridge, probably next year. I think the pool being new is going to be staying open its first winter down here while I figure out how it works. Luckily we are far south enough to make that possible.

Contacted the dealer, and he brings up a good point that there would be 40 or so small, unevenly spaced pads around the pool and may look goofy. The loop-loc representative did say we could probably do the footers as small as at least 3" since they go a full 15" into the ground. So when all is said and done they may or may not look weird after the grass has had some time to grow into them.

I'm wondering if 1) we could do a colored concrete so it sort of blends in with the lawn (not sure about this, sounds bizarre) or 2) cap the footers with some sort of prettier looking stone, and then throw in a few extras to even them out (not sure if this is even possible and actually maintain the additional needed structural support). Thoughts?

The grass is going to cover them. Go look at your fence posts. I'll bet you have grass growing right up next to them, over the concrete surrounding the post. Over time, grass stolons will grow over the footers and you'll have to search for the cover tangs. The fact you'll be able to look down and see a flash of concrete is probably the only way you'll find them in a few years.

You could always paint the tops of the concrete posts green so that they blend in somewhat. Also, use sod to fill in the dirt spots that will be created, it grows quicker than seed, the posts will vanish right away.

If you go this route, don't just pour a cylinder into the ground, pour a nice cone with a wide base and a small top. It will stay in place much better than just a cylinder, and I'd go closer to 24" deep. You'd be surprised how much stuff in the ground actually moves over time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.