Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar angle

1. Back To Top    #1
    Austin, TX

Solar angle

Lots of great solar panel info here. Getting ready to go with two Solar Bear panels. Had a question. Is it worth making the frame adjustable? My best March/September angle is 30 degrees, best April/Aug angle is 22 degrees. I don't really care about any shallower angle in mid summer, water will be plenty hot. It would be fairly easy to make an adjustable rack, but only adjusting what comes out to +6" at top and -6" at bottom seems like maybe not worth it. I think 30 degrees for ends of season probably makes more sense.

Also with Solar Bear going horizontally, I was planning on tilting East end up 6" so it would drain without having to blow it out. Just gets a little uglier since I'm putting them over my Pump pad rather than on roof.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

New Brunswick Canada

Re: Solar angle

Adjustable is the cats meow if you can do it, 90 degrees is optimum. As the sun gets higher in the sky, then you could flatten them out to get that degree.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lakeland, FL

Re: Solar angle

Great info here:

I don't think it will make much difference being in the south.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida