Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question Re: Valves and Pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Re: Valves and Pressure

Good evening,

Quick question. I had to shock my pool due to a little bit of yellow algea (which I'm not sure why I developed because I keep my readings up to par using TFP guidelines but this is my 1st incident this year and I live in FL so..) I shocked the pool using liquid chlorine and the readings based off the CYA/Chlorine chart. My question is this, I have a faux rock waterfall feature and I decided to turn them off using the valve near the pump and it raises my filter reading from the normal 6 psi to about 16 psi. This won't damage the pump correct? Or is there another valve I should use to lower the pressure? Sorry if this is a silly question, I just want to make sure the pump can handle that much pressure. I didn't want to discolor my faux rocks from the large amount of chlorine.

My readings as of tonight

FC = 24
    CC= 0
    pH = 7.5
    Alk = 70
    CH = 300
    CYA = 65
    Salt = 3400
    Borates = 30 (using the LaMotte Insta Strips. AquaCheck strips say 80 but there's NO WAY that can be right so I'll stick with LaMotte's readings)

I'm doing the overnight test tonight to make sure FC doesn't go down more than 1 ppm.

Thanks for your help!

Nick
    Size and Type : IGP, 7500 Gallons
    Finish: Wet Edge Satin Matrix Finish (pebble), Cartridge: Unicel Model C-8409, 12 PSi, Pump: 1.5 HP A.O. Smith Model USQ1152 (not sure if it's two speed or variable), Pool Date Remodel: May 2009, Accessories: SWG Auto Pilot Digital Nano Model 75041, Rock Waterfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question Re: Valves and Pressure

I would guess that there is also a valve on the return line that is partially closed to force more water to the waterfall when it is on. If that's the case, then you could open the return line valve when you close the fountain valve.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Most filters have a maximum pressure rating listed right on them. It's usually pretty high. Mine for example says 50psi, so I don't think you are in too much danger
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you guys for the quick reply.
    Size and Type : IGP, 7500 Gallons
    Finish: Wet Edge Satin Matrix Finish (pebble), Cartridge: Unicel Model C-8409, 12 PSi, Pump: 1.5 HP A.O. Smith Model USQ1152 (not sure if it's two speed or variable), Pool Date Remodel: May 2009, Accessories: SWG Auto Pilot Digital Nano Model 75041, Rock Waterfall