Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sodium hydrochlorite and sodium hydroxide in bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Sodium hydrochlorite and sodium hydroxide in bleach

Usually I get generic bleach at Publix. The label says it contains Sodium hydrochlorite and "other materials". It works fine.

Sometimes when they are sold out of the generic bleach we get Clorox concentrated bleach. The label says it contains Sodium hydrochlorite and sodium hydroxide. It makes bubbles on the surface of the pool. The bubbles go away in a few minutes, and it is not a problem, but I wonder what the extra ingredient - sodium hydroxide - is. Is it making the bubbles, and is it causing any other problem?
    36 x 18 oval pool, inground, plaster pool.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sodium hydrochlorite and sodium hydroxide in bleach

Are you sure you are not buying some splashless Clorox bleach or something with additives? Those will cause foaming.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

i don't think there's any difference at all. The MSDS for the Publix product lists Sodium Hydroxide in the same percentage as the Clorox products. Maybe the bottle labeling doesn't go into the same level of detail.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Are you sure you are not buying some splashless Clorox bleach or something with additives? Those will cause foaming.
    Yes, it is splashless Clorox. I didn't know there were additives. I thought "splashless" had something to do with the shape of the bottle. I will stop buying splashless. Do you have any idea what the long term effects of those additives in the water will be?
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.

5. Back To Top    #5

Splashless bleach contains several surfactants including Cetyl Betaine, Sodium Xylene Sulfonate and Cocamidopropyl betaine. They are also used in personal care products.

For small amounts, there should not be any long term adverse effects that you would have to be concerned about.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the info.
    27000 gallons
    1 hp pump. Sand filter
    Pool built in 1971.