Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much shock to close pool for winter season? 13,000 gallons

1. Back To Top    #1

How much shock to close pool for winter season? 13,000 gallons

Pool chemistry is good and is at "ok" levels. It's 13,000 gallons, and I have 73% Leslies Powder pro shock. The bucket doesn't really say how much to put in for the winter season. I'm closing it now, and will re-open end of April. I was just guessing that 32 oz would be enough. The bucket says 1 pound/16 oz for 16,500 gallons to shock, so 32 oz would be a double shock. Of course the pool place said to do 48 oz, a triple shock, and that's way too much I think.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much shock to close pool for winter season? 13,000 gallons

We don't add shock to close pools. We follow the SLAM process to confirm nothing is in the water and then close when the water is cold enough. Have you read the article in Pool School?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How much shock to close pool for winter season? 13,000 gallons

I read it, but can't wait until water is below 60, have way too many leaves coming in every day now and can't wait any longer, temp is around 67.

4. Back To Top    #4

How much shock to close pool for winter season? 13,000 gallons

How about putting the cover on and still run pump for 1-2 hours a day. You'll hold FC a lot longer with cover on and when the water temp falls below 60, go ahead and bring it up to shock level for your CYA level.
    If you could add all your location (state), pool and equipment info to your sig that will help us better help you.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.