How much shock to close pool for winter season? 13,000 gallons

Jun 1, 2007
Harrisburg, PA
Pool chemistry is good and is at "ok" levels. It's 13,000 gallons, and I have 73% Leslies Powder pro shock. The bucket doesn't really say how much to put in for the winter season. I'm closing it now, and will re-open end of April. I was just guessing that 32 oz would be enough. The bucket says 1 pound/16 oz for 16,500 gallons to shock, so 32 oz would be a double shock. Of course the pool place said to do 48 oz, a triple shock, and that's way too much I think.

We don't add shock to close pools. We follow the SLAM process to confirm nothing is in the water and then close when the water is cold enough. Have you read the article in Pool School?

How about putting the cover on and still run pump for 1-2 hours a day. You'll hold FC a lot longer with cover on and when the water temp falls below 60, go ahead and bring it up to shock level for your CYA level.
If you could add all your location (state), pool and equipment info to your sig that will help us better help you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.