Closing with a mesh cover & CYA question

KristenNScott

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2013
kansas
This was our first year using TFP method, and the first year with nice clear sparkly water all summer. Yea! We want to close our pool, but the temp is not low enough yet. I've read the information on closing pools, but I still have a few questions.

1) can we do a "partial close" and go ahead and put the cover on, but leave the pump running until the water temp is consistently low enough?

2) we have a mesh cover. The first few years we were here, we also used a huge back plastic tarp-like cover under the mesh cover b/c that's how it was when we moved in. Each year, the cover would have lots of green goop growing on it which would fall into the pool while we were taking off the covers - no matter how hard we tried to keep it out. Then, we tried putting the black tarp cover on top of the mesh cover, but it kept blowing off so my husband ended up putting it away. The past two years we used only the mesh cover. It seems that soooo much debris still gets in with that cover on, and we opened up to a swamp. (Either way, we've always opened to a yucky green pool.) However, this was all before TFP, so if we follow the TFP instructions and if we use the mesh cover only, will we open to a clear pool, or will the mesh cover still cause us problems?

3) we seem to be unusual in that we have trouble keeping our CYA up. Twice this summer, we used the pucks while we were out of town, and that was the only time I was able to get the CYA up to 40, and it came back down after stopping the pucks. I tried adding CYA using the sock method, and I kept adding and adding, and never got it to increase enough until using the pucks. We probably have a leak as it seems we have to add water more than I would expect to, so I guess that accounts for the CYA not staying up as water is being continually replaced. Right? My concern is that when we opened the pool in the spring, I couldn't measure any level of CYA. If my water level continues to drift down over the winter and we're not adding any water, the CYA should still stay the same, right? (or close - it will rain and snow which will add some water). I'm trying to figure out how high to get the CYA before closing - actually - how to get the amount to raise quickly so it will be where we want it to be when we close. Or, can I just broadcast the correct amount through the pool and count on it dissolving eventually? Will it dissolve without the water circulating and without someone squeezing the sock to get it to disperse? Right now, CYA is probably close to 20, so I need to add 59 oz to bring it up to 40. I could also run our chlorinator tower on its highest level for the next week and see how that goes.

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes you can put the cover on and run pump until water temp drops into the 50's. Bring FC up to shock level and blow lines.
2. You may get some debris in the pool but you should open to clear water as long as you open when the water temp is in the 50's.
3. Add your CYA via the sock method. The pucks may take too long to get the level up. Do Not Broadcast into the pool. If you have a leak the the water replaced by rain and snow melt will lower your CYA level. You should be ok. Shoot for whatever level you want. 30-40 would be fine. My CYA level dropped over winter from the same thing. I had to keep draining some water off from the snow melt. I have a mesh strip down the center of my cover so it lets water seep thru.

This was our first year using TFP method, and the first year with nice clear sparkly water all summer. Yea! We want to close our pool, but the temp is not low enough yet. I've read the information on closing pools, but I still have a few questions.

1) can we do a "partial close" and go ahead and put the cover on, but leave the pump running until the water temp is consistently low enough?

2) we have a mesh cover. The first few years we were here, we also used a huge back plastic tarp-like cover under the mesh cover b/c that's how it was when we moved in. Each year, the cover would have lots of green goop growing on it which would fall into the pool while we were taking off the covers - no matter how hard we tried to keep it out. Then, we tried putting the black tarp cover on top of the mesh cover, but it kept blowing off so my husband ended up putting it away. The past two years we used only the mesh cover. It seems that soooo much debris still gets in with that cover on, and we opened up to a swamp. (Either way, we've always opened to a yucky green pool.) However, this was all before TFP, so if we follow the TFP instructions and if we use the mesh cover only, will we open to a clear pool, or will the mesh cover still cause us problems?

3) we seem to be unusual in that we have trouble keeping our CYA up. Twice this summer, we used the pucks while we were out of town, and that was the only time I was able to get the CYA up to 40, and it came back down after stopping the pucks. I tried adding CYA using the sock method, and I kept adding and adding, and never got it to increase enough until using the pucks. We probably have a leak as it seems we have to add water more than I would expect to, so I guess that accounts for the CYA not staying up as water is being continually replaced. Right? My concern is that when we opened the pool in the spring, I couldn't measure any level of CYA. If my water level continues to drift down over the winter and we're not adding any water, the CYA should still stay the same, right? (or close - it will rain and snow which will add some water). I'm trying to figure out how high to get the CYA before closing - actually - how to get the amount to raise quickly so it will be where we want it to be when we close. Or, can I just broadcast the correct amount through the pool and count on it dissolving eventually? Will it dissolve without the water circulating and without someone squeezing the sock to get it to disperse? Right now, CYA is probably close to 20, so I need to add 59 oz to bring it up to 40. I could also run our chlorinator tower on its highest level for the next week and see how that goes.

Thanks in advance!

With regards to opening to a green pool. Simply put the cover on now, maintain your levels though. Once the water is below 60, then blow the lines and winterize. Next spring, uncover and open when the water is below 60 and you should open to a clear pool. ****, I opened mine this past spring in March and there was ice bergs floating in it! Clear water though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.