Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: wind control

1. Back To Top    #1

wind control

Last year was my first winter closing. I used a solid cover and the wind blew it up like Jiffy Pop popcorn all winter. I bought some pool clips and they blew off, then I purchased pool wrap thinking that would help keep the wind from getting under the cover and it did not help either. We are pondering stuffing rags between the uprights of the pool and then using wrap again but I thought I would poll the experts here and see what works for anyone else. Thanks in advance!
    June 2013 24 x 52 Sharkline Heritage AGP (13,500 gal), 2 speed 1 hp pump, 150 lb filter(?), TF-100 test kit
    My first pool ever, pool school student with lots of questions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: wind control

Putting a few inches of water on top of the cover also did not help as we are not below freezing all winter and when it wasn't frozen, the wind just blew the water to one side. This ended up with a big dip in the cover when it did freeze.
    June 2013 24 x 52 Sharkline Heritage AGP (13,500 gal), 2 speed 1 hp pump, 150 lb filter(?), TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If wind is an ongoing problem there is a cover called hurricane cover.
    http://hurricaneabovegroundpoolcovers.com/.
    You could also try hanging some weighted jugs from the eye lets. A little un sightly but some say it works.
    I use this cover. Wind gets under it some but for the most part it doesn't heave up.
    http://www.poolandspa.com/catalog/pr...Pool-Cover.cfm. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

+1 for Hurricane covers. We have had problems with wind since we bought the house. We weighed the covers down with cinder blocks but when the water was liquid the cover still blew around and ripped out grommets in higher winds. We got the hurricane cover last year and it performed great even when there was less than an inch of water on top. The price is steeper but I expect it to last many more seasons than the last cover.

From myHTC One via Tapatalk
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

5. Back To Top    #5

We too are in a high wind area. This year we are going to try lacing a rope across the top of the pool going back and forth in a grid fashion hoping that will help remove the jiffy popcorn top.
    Diane

15,000 salty gallons - 24' x 12' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

My hubby is planning on using a generic pool cover like we did last year and then wrapping it with the Saran Wrap type stuff all the way down to the ground and also stuffing rags around the posts to block the wind. I am a little leery of this but at least it won't be worse than last year. I was ready to try the hurricane cover but he isn't quite ready to make that investment. I think the rope grid would probably help too, will see what he thinks about that.

7. Back To Top    #7

The rope grid should help. Let us know how it works out for ya. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.