New to maintaining hot tub

May 24, 2014
NJ
Posted about my pool in another thread but also have a stand-alone hot tub. Old owner told me he would just add some magic solution that kept it good for a couple months at a time. But I tested the water with a hth strip and there was no chlorine at all. I found a bottle of spa shock in the shed and dumped in about a cup or two which I now think was too much because I tested it today and the chlorine is pretty much off the chart (I found a better test kit today and using the dropper, the water is a color not even on the chart).

Anything I should do? Will it regulate on it's own? The rest of the numbers are in the proper range according to the chart.

Yea, when measuring chlorine for a spa the volume of a "cup" almost never figures into the picture. Leave teh top off and run the jets for an hour or so, but figure your chlorine level wont go down for days.

Is it one of those drop tests that turn yellow? If so you can use Richards color chart:

On the OTO (yellow) chlorine test:

Blinding tweety-bird yellow is about 10. School bus yellow is about 12-13. Hunter orange is around 18, up around 25 it starts to look pumpkin orange.

HERE is a great how to on spa care.

Yikes, this is definitely in the dark orange range. My wife was just so excited to use the hot tub for the first time and I told her she better not. I assume that much chlorine would be bad to soak in, right?

I wouldn't. But the nice thing about a hot tub is it is easy to dump some water and refill to fix errors. In this case the "too much chlorine" water could just be dumped into the pool.

I know that I am going to get filet'd for this but I am going to be honest with you.

This is out 3rd stand alone tub. we have tried chlorine and bromine and about everything else with little success.

I travel 4-5 days a week and 50 weeks a year for work. I am the "maintiainer" of the leisure products at our house.

I debated SWG because it makes our IG pool do easy. But the only ones that I could find were some things that looked like poo and hung over the side if the tub. So we tried Nature 2 sticks.

Every Saturday I check the water (ph and ta) with my Taylor kit when I check the pool and adjust. Other than that it is a capful of shock every time it is used and if not at all a capful on Saturday.

Crystal clear, good smelling water. No hassles. All good. Wife can throw the capful of shock in with no problems.

Works for us. But I will say buy them on amazon or a sponsored site, should not pay more than $20 a stick. They last 4 months. I change every time I do a water change/ahhsome treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that I am going to get filet'd for this
I don't think you should feel that way. The whole idea of this site is to provide information so you can make an informed decision on how you want to handle your pool/spa. You choose to use Nature2 and understand it and the possible side effects. if it works for you, do it.

I generally end up dumping the spa water in the pool when I do my water change (I don't use ahhsome every water change) so I don't want the metals in my pool. I just keep a small piece of a trichlor tab floating in the spa and that seems to work for me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.