Rusty Stains - What to do?

Jun 9, 2014
Suwanee, GA
Hi guys, since I bought my house I've been learning a lot with you and I think I've been able to keep my pool alive in the process thanks to you guys...

Since then, I've been seeing a brown stain with a circular dot in the center which seems to be the origin of what I think is rust...

Now the time comes to close my pool and I'm wondering if it's worthy to drain my pool and have someone check the stain or if it's something for a DIY project :) ...

While taking these pics I noticed a small crack running horizontally and perpendicularly to the shape of the stain :(

My best scenario would be to hear from you that this stain is not worth to drain the pool...

I'll try to take better pics and upload em...

Any initial thoughts ?

Thanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411828820.095884.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411828840.263982.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411828860.332108.jpg

Well, as you don;t have your pool info in your signature I'm going to guess that it is an in ground gunite/plaster pool.

It looks to me that the surface has failed in that area and water has gotten into the rebar behind and it is rusting. If so they are going t o have to remove the plaster and grind/seal the affected rebar. Then new plaster. I'll leave it to someone else as I'm not sure if they can do this as a spot job or a full re-plaster of the pool is in order.

It would help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
  • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
  • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
  • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
  • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

Got it... I updated my signature, I took yours as template:)

Now, I dont think my boss (Wife) will prioritize this above the VAC unit or the kitchen granite or the 100 things to be done when you move to a new house LOL... so, do you think this is something I can put in standby for the winter and re-take it next year? or based on your experience, this is something I need to prioritize to avoid huge damages to the pool?...

Thanks in advance for your comments again

Yea, sounds like my house.....

If it what I'm thinking the damage is already being done. Nothing extreme is going to happen in a couple/few months. Use that time to research local pool repair companies and have them stop by and recommend solutions.

Now, someone with more experience than me could have a different opinion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.