New Pool Construction Project in Houston: 2nd Time is a Charm

JayBauman

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 5, 2014
Katy, TX
When we moved to Houston a few years ago, we put in a pool. I loved it. The wife loved it. The twins loved it. The dog loved it. Then we moved across town. The new house doesn't have a pool, but we've got a large side yard just waiting for someone to dig a hole and fill it full of water. We agonized over the decision to put in a pool. Then, after deciding that we wanted one, we agonized over finding a good pool builder. After we found a PB, we agonized over the price tag. Pool prices have definitely gone up over the last few years! But alas, here we are with contract signed and checkbook open.

With my last pool, I didn't know very much about pools, which means I ended up with options that I didn't want and overpaid for the things that I did want. Somehow we managed to keep the water crystal clear, even though my builder's pool school and the local pool store were doing their best to lead me astray. Now I'm a lot smarter about specifying what I want and how I want to operate it (Thanks TFP!!!).

So we're beginning our our journey. Right now, we've got the design picked out. Just today, the city issued the building permit. Now we're waiting on the HOA approvals so we can start digging. Unfortunately, my subdivision is brand new and we're the first house to put in a pool. The HOA isn't able to tell me their approval process, won't tell me how long it takes to make a decision (they have up to 60 days according to the deed restrictions, but allow themselves even more time for design iterations), and can't tell me the criteria upon which said decision gets made. While these problems pale in comparison to some of the stories I've been reading on this board, it is still quite frustrating.

Anyway, here's the artist conception of what my side yard should look like in a few months....

Wish us luck on our journey.

Looks like a nice plan and plenty of space!

Yeah, we have more yard than the typical suburban Houston plot. However, the cul-de-sac lot is a double-edged sword. On one hand, the large lot gives us lots of flexibility to put in a nice spacious pool. On the other hand, some of the pool builders we interviewed saw the extra space and tried to fill it with lots of pool options (and tried to fill their pockets with extra $$$ as well!).

- - - Updated - - -

I see a certain yellow lab that is anxious for a swimming hole! Hopefully, things move quickly for you in the "off season". -Karen

Yep. She must be anticipating it, as she's standing on the future sun shelf in that pic. We couldn't keep her out of our last pool, so we eventually stopped trying and learned to live with a perpetually wet lab. The pug, on the other hand, doesn't go anywhere near the water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was the HOA President when my division was first built and remained in that post until a side job of mine got me booted for good. Their bylaws are a shell when they are new, they only have the basics. You are paving the way for your neighbors future pools. Good luck with the build! I am happy to be able to watch it come together.

Has anyone had any issues/problems with the utility service companies...you know, the guys who come out when you call 811 and flag/paint the ground? This one is hard for me to believe. My PB called in a utility mark, and 5 different crews came out to mark the utilities. Each one of them took the lazy way out and got the completely wrong results. Unbelievable!

According to my lot survey, I only have a utility easement along part of my back yard. This is one of the reasons we selected this lot when we built the house. When they marked the utility lines, they followed the profile of our back yard and showed gas, electric, phone, cable, and fiber all together. It's not surprising that they are all together, since developers of new communities make single trenches and tell all utilities to put their lines together. But this is also the root of my problem. The cable guy was the first one to show up. He looked at the pedestal in my yard and started painting and flagging without actually measuring any signal. He assumed the lines followed my yard. Every other utility guy who showed up just followed his marks without actually making any determinations. I happened to be home yesterday and got a chance to talk to the electric/gas and telephone guys when they were coming back for a 2nd marking. Each admitted that they were being lazy and just "followed the leader". They thanked me for doing their job for them, crossed out some of the painted lines, took their flags and left.

In the grand scheme of things, this is inconsequential to my pool design and plans, since my pool won't be located very close to the fence. However, if it's usual practice to "guess" where the lines are rather than actually track the signal, then I am quite scared. These guys are supposed to be correct so we don't get killed when we start digging holes in the yard. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

In related news....got my formal HOA approval today! Let the digging commence.

I'm guessing it's quite common based on my experience when I was 20 working for a pool company. They would mark the utilities and we still occasionally hit power lines and gas lines. It didn't really scare us that much....maybe cause I was 20. We were usually happy because as laborers it meant we got to take a break on the clock.....lol. I specifically remember one time hitting a gas line and since the client was a police chief he called everybody and we were surrounded by police cars and fire trucks. The main thing was that if they come out and mark it and you hit the lines somewhere they didn't mark then it's their responsibility to pay for the repairs.

On Wednesday afternoon, HOA issued building permit. On Thursday morning, PB showed up to stake and paint the yard. That was quick!

15305233438_7149911839_z.jpg

Now we await word on when the digging begins. In the immortal words of Tom Petty: The waiting is the hardest part.

City permit? Check.
HOA permit? Check.
Pool outline painted in yard? Check.
City final pre-inspection? Check.
Scheduled to start digging? Check.

Now let's see if they actually show up on Monday per schedule.

The exciting part is just around the corner! You have a great lot for a pool.

Talking about utility svc companies marking the yard... that never even happened with our pool. PB just started digging until he hit an underground electrical pipe and knocked out our power. He said he'd never seen anything like this before in all his years of pool building. We were without power for 2 1/2 days and out $7000 to pay to have it rerouted. We were very very unhappy people. We've moved on though and hopefully that's the last hiccup. It sounds like your utilities are far away from your pool site though. Crossing fingers for you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.