New Pool Construction Project in Houston: 2nd Time is a Charm

I worked from home during the first 2 days. It was fun to watch. If you can, try to work from home.

I was there for the dig, plumbing and decking on my first pool build. Work travel caused me to miss the other fun things (gunite, pebble). This time around, I am working with the job scheduler to maximize the time I can be there to "supervise". If nothing else, this Under Construction forum has made me aware of many things that can secretly go wrong that I need to be on the lookout for.

Showed up at 7:00 this morning. Started digging just before 8:00. Job site cleaned up and everybody gone by 1:00. I guess that's the good part of being able to bring the trucks right up to the dig site. Here's the finished dig:

- - - Updated - - -

Nice they can just pull the truck in.

Positive: Quick excavation

Negative: Some deep ruts in my back yard....but hey, at least it's not muddy!

Last edited:
That is a clean looking dig! What a fast job they did! I bet it would have been fun to watch.

I wonder if it would have been better to keep some of the dirt in a pile under cover to put in the ruts when they are done? What do you do to fill in big truck ruts?

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now THAT is one clean looking dig! Wow.

How deep is the pool?

We're building a play pool, so the depth on the step side is 3.5', going to 5.5' in the center and then tapering up to 4' on the other side.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, the dig is extremely clean. I guess that's the benefit of living in constant near-draught conditions for the last few years.

The dig went so well that they're even ahead of schedule. Plumbing has already started, and metal workers will be starting tomorrow. They can get ahead all they want, but I'm not paying the 2nd draw (gunite) until Friday! :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

That is a clean looking dig! What a fast job they did! I bet it would have been fun to watch.

I wonder if it would have been better to keep some of the dirt in a pile under cover to put in the ruts when they are done? What do you do to fill in big truck ruts?

Kim

Hi Kim. When they are doing final lot grading, they will fill in all the various holes and ruts and other yard damage. Here in Houston, the "fill" is typically sand, on top of which they lay St Augustine sod. Can't believe that it works, but it does.

Plumbers were here and started trenching (in the dark!) before 7:00 this morning. It's only Day 2 of construction, but I'm impressed that my PB is honoring his communicated schedule. Unfortunately, I have to go into the office today so I won't have any "in progress" pics to share. I'll post some pics of what they get done today when I get back home this evening.

Moving along quickly.

Today saw start/completion of steel....

Spa....

Further work on plumbing....
14975784494_89c80b6a5e_z.jpg
[/url]

and the in-floor cleaning system....

End of Day 2

Another Day....Another Bunch of Progress. This will continue until gunite shoot on Friday, then I'm sure we'll be doing a whole bunch of waiting...

Plumbing is complete

The "Boulder Impressions" guys showed up to start fabrication of the 18' gunite rock wall/slide/waterfall today. With a 1.5HP pump dedicated to the water feature, I'm thinking we'll be moving some serious water over this thing. It's hard to see right now, but all will be revealed soon.

I had to run off to coach soccer practice and it was dark when we got home, so no Day3 final pics.

It looks like they installed your ICS system where it should be, close to the pool. They installed mine near my equipment. I'm going to try and get them to move it closer to the pool, as they have not buried the lines yet.

Ah, from that last pic, it looks like all your equipment is fairly close to the pool.

It looks like they installed your ICS system where it should be, close to the pool. They installed mine near my equipment. I'm going to try and get them to move it closer to the pool, as they have not buried the lines yet.

Ah, from that last pic, it looks like all your equipment is fairly close to the pool.

Hi PigIron,

I had 2 options for pool equipment: either behind my water feature right next to the pool, or on the other side of my house about 200' (plus 2 90degree turns) away. The extra expense and reduced pumping ability made that decision quite easy. My ICS manifold is only 5' from the pool and only 5' from the dedicated pump.

The only thing I really don't like is the location of the check valve that keeps my elevated spa from draining out through the ICS plumbing. This will actually be buried 6" in the ground next to the manifold. They put clear windows on those things for a reason--so you can see if there is anything trapped in them! At least I'll know where to dig if I ever have spa draining issues.

Do you have similar issues, or does this not apply to your situation?

Hi PigIron,

The only thing I really don't like is the location of the check valve that keeps my elevated spa from draining out through the ICS plumbing. This will actually be buried 6" in the ground next to the manifold. They put clear windows on those things for a reason--so you can see if there is anything trapped in them! At least I'll know where to dig if I ever have spa draining issues.

Do you have similar issues, or does this not apply to your situation?

I did notice that on yours, and wasn't sure if they were going to burry the lines or create some enclosure that gave you access to them. On mine, I also have the check valve on the cleaner for the spa, and it will be just slightly above ground when the lines are buried. Do you have any inline chlorination going through your ICS?

I did notice that on yours, and wasn't sure if they were going to burry the lines or create some enclosure that gave you access to them. On mine, I also have the check valve on the cleaner for the spa, and it will be just slightly above ground when the lines are buried. Do you have any inline chlorination going through your ICS?

My filtration loop is completely independent from my ICS loop. My not-yet-installed (I think PB forgot to order it!) SWG is set in-line after my filter and will be chlorinating the water entering through my side jets. My ICS has a dedicated pump and dedicated suction ports, so the 2 never meet. I guess it makes sense, as I suspect my filter pump will run more frequently than my ICS pump.

How is your system set up?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.