Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 speed replacment motor recommendation

1. Back To Top    #1

2 speed replacment motor recommendation

My single speed 2hp filter pump just died and I was just about to order a replacement motor, but I'm thinking about replacing it with a 2 speed.

I have a Jandy JMPU2.0 that uses an Emerson EB796 56J Frame single speed 1.5hp motor. Does anyone have a recomendation for a good 2 speed replacment for this motor? Just to be clear, I am planning to replace the motor only and not the entire pump.

I have a Jandy Aqualink RS with a One Touch control panel, so I realize I will need to also buy a 2 speed module as well.

By the way, does anyone know if the 2 speed module will work will all firmware levels on the Aqualink?

Sam
    21K gal Plaster pool w/ 6 jet Spa, 2 HP Jandy Stealth JHPU2.0 (upgraded to a 2-speed motor) pump for pool/spa, Jandy 60 sqft DE filter, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy Aqualink RS6 Controller. Water feature with Jandy JHPU1.0 Pump, Tiger Shark pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 speed replacment motor recommendation

Your signature doesn't have a spa/water feature mentioned so why do you have/need a 2 HP pump? You might want to downsize the motor and impeller while you are at it.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

I do have a spa on the same pump, but the water feature is on a separate pump.
    21K gal Plaster pool w/ 6 jet Spa, 2 HP Jandy Stealth JHPU2.0 (upgraded to a 2-speed motor) pump for pool/spa, Jandy 60 sqft DE filter, Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy Aqualink RS6 Controller. Water feature with Jandy JHPU1.0 Pump, Tiger Shark pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, update your signature then

This is exactly why we ask everyone to fill it out, so we do not have to ask these type of questions.

And while you are at it, add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

A Century B976 should work for you. Don't forget a new seal kit.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

My signature has been updated.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

The current motor is a 56J frame and it looks like the Century B976 is a 56C frame. does that difference matter, if I am reusing the existing pump housing and impeller?

9. Back To Top    #9

Sorry, you are right! B977 is the 56J version.
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

Can you think of any reason this motor wouldn't be comparable with the Jandy Aqualink RS controller and their 2 speed module?

by the way, thanks for the seal kit replacement reminder. Do I order the seal kit for the pump or there there a seal kit for this new motor. I'm thinking that since the motor shafts should be the same, that the one for the pump should work???

I really appreciate your help.

Sam

11. Back To Top    #11

The seal kit is tied to the pump, not the motor.

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/PoolS...t/APCK1181.htm

As for the controller, I have no idea but a quick call to Zodiac tech support should clear that up.

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Sup...t-Support.aspx
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

I can not think why any 2-speed motor would not work with the 2-speed module. There are no electronics in 2-speed motors, just 2 windings where only one is powered at a given time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks! That is very helpful to understand. I hate ordering things that don't work together.

14. Back To Top    #14

Which online parts supplier ships the fastest?

15. Back To Top    #15

No idea.
    Jason, TFP Moderator