Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new user yellow algae Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

new user yellow algae Texas

New to this forum
    Put in 10000 gallon gunite pool in April, in Wimberley Tx. Lots of sun and heat.
    cartridge filter, ozone, auto bromide, 2 catch baskets
    no problems until august, started to have small areas of green algae, wire brush scrub,clean filters, shock with Leslie pools products including green out, seems to work for a few days but returns when chlorine levels get back to normal.
    ordered t100 testing kit which just arrived and below are first results.
    while waiting i over did liquid chlorine hoping algae could not grow but even with high high chlorine (dark yellow/orange when tested) still see tiny pockets
    so how do i get chlorine levels back to "normal/safe" levels and stop algae?
    Also i'm getting ants in the little pre filter (where tube is connected to side of pool) of my polaris, how could this be if my filter system is working correctly

chlorine way over 5ppm
    PH 7.8
    FC 18ppm
    CC 0
    TC 18ppm
    CH 450 ppm
    TA 150
    CYA 100

Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: new user yellow algae Texas

Welcome to TFP!!!

Please confirm is this a chlorine pool or a bromine pool?

Did you follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clear up the algae? I have my doubts given your high CYA level since your FC is not nearly high enough.

You first step needs to be to get the CYA level under control by replacing at least 50% of the water.

Have you found the TFP Pool School yet? If not, start with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by bauden
    chlorine way over 5ppm
    PH 7.8
    FC 18ppm
    CC 0
    TC 18ppm
    CH 450 ppm
    TA 150
    CYA 100
    First, a hearty Welcome to TFP!

Whenever I see a CYA result of 100, the first thing that comes to mind is the possibility that it could be higher than that since the scale on the CYA view tube maxes out at 100. In any event, I would do the 50% drain & refill that jblizzle suggested and then retest the CYA. Just keep in mind that there is a possibility that the CYA could be higher than 50 ppm after the water replacement. If that turns out to be the case, don't suspect the test kit or your testing procedures. The more likely culprit is that the starting CYA was greater than 100. I worked with a member this year where this happened and walked them through several partial drain & refills before the CYA got to a manageable level.

For more info on the CYA testing procedure, see http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...Kit-Directions , Post #8.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

4. Back To Top    #4

chlorine pool

havent done slam as just got test kit yesterday

wow 50% of the water, have to order it as we are on a well

how would a pool get to this ?

will go over pool school today

will add signature also

thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

new user yellow algae Texas

The CYA level can get that high with a steady diet of using stabilized chlorine. Pucks (trichlor) and powdered shock (dichlor) any form of stabilized chlorine adds CYA. Cal hypo will add calcium to your pool which is not good if your CH level is already an issue.
    This is why using liquid chlorine, bleach is the best form of chlorine to use. No side effects like from the other sources. A SWG is also a great way to chlorinate your pool.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

Plan to SLAM monday as I brought sump pump and ordered water. Algae is only popping up in small spots which I brush off, will do all tests again tomorrow before draining.
    So I replace 1/2 the water and follow SLAM instructions and stop using bromine in line feeder just liquid bleach?
    Any other tips?
    Thanks any other Trouble free pool users around wimberley tx?
    14000, IG, gunnite, Hayward cartridge C4030, Hayward tristar spx3210x15z1pe 1.5HP (? two speed or variable speed pump?) April 2014 TF-1000 Test Kit :XL Option, ultra pure uv ozone generator, pentaire in line chlorine feeder (disabled), Polaris 360