Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drained pool and think I am on track

1. Back To Top    #1

Drained pool and think I am on track

I finally got my pool drained since my CY was off the charts............pool is now filled and added a small amount of stablizer and liquid chlorine..........

my water measurements are

FC-6
    CC-0
    PH-7.8
    TA-140
    CH-230
    CY-25

The calculator says to add 9.6 oz of muratic acid and 24 oz more of stablizer........water is clear as a bell.........I am only leary of more stabilizer since that is what caused the initial problem and required the pool drain 200+..........aside from that I think everything looks pretty good........also I am not worried about the CH since we have very hard water here in Phoenix.....once again thanks for your help
    Phoenix, AZ USA 12k gal, IG pebble, Pentair TR-100 sand filter, Jandy/Zodiac ePump series-variable speed, builit 1991 (re-plastered with pebble 2013-new pump 2011), Taylor 2006 test kit with (FAS-DPD) chlorine test w/speedstir, Spa attached

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drained pool and think I am on track

How much did you drain? When did you add the stabilizer? How much stabilizer did you add? Was it granules or liquid?

No really hurry to lower your pH too much since your CH is lower right now.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The whole pool.........added 3lb granules along with Chlorine yesterday at around 4pm and ran the pump at a high speed (not variable speed) all night for 15 hours and today running at variable speed.
    Phoenix, AZ USA 12k gal, IG pebble, Pentair TR-100 sand filter, Jandy/Zodiac ePump series-variable speed, builit 1991 (re-plastered with pebble 2013-new pump 2011), Taylor 2006 test kit with (FAS-DPD) chlorine test w/speedstir, Spa attached

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, then your CYA should have started close to 0. How did you add the stabilizer? Remember that it takes up to a week for the granules to fully dissolve and show up on the test. So, trust the PoolMath for how much you added which should have been ~30ppm.

Being in PHX, you will likely want the CYA to be a little closer to 50ppm in the summer, although might not need it that high any more this season ... up to you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I will test it again the middle of next week which will be almost a week, since it may take that long to fully dissolve and do what the pool math says at that point. One last question, being in Phoenix how often should I be testing the water (Fall, Winter, Spring) versus (Summer)........since I am done with the pool store and tablets accept for parts and supplys and well acid too. Thanks again for this forum and you experts.

6. Back To Top    #6

Test chlorine and pH daily. Others not as often. See suggested schedule in Pool School.
    Jason, TFP Moderator