Pea green and frustrated

That is a lot of FC loss. You need to check the CC as well. We can't just assume it's 0. Keep checking it. At this rate I'm guessing you'll be down to near 4 at about 5:30, at which point you should add more bleach so that you don't drop below the recommended minimum and potentially complicate things further.

Any swimmers today?

Yes I do check CC everytime I check FC it remains at 0. I even took a peek at the CYA today. A little closer to 40. I have to leave for a few hours I am going to add bleach to move the FC up to 10 so it won't go below minimum.

The CYA test is probably the test that has the largest variable. Staring at the black dot adding the mixture. There is almost a ghost effect from the black dot - is it there or is that what I was seeing a second ago and now its gone - maybe? If anything I will err to the low number. I think it is better and I agree that my Chlorine consumption has been slowed. We are heading the right way. My Chlorine check at 6:45 pm was 7.0 so that means I lost the 2.5 ppm I added at 2:30. I will check after sunset and get it back to 8. I am not expecting much of an adjustment.

Yes the test can be tricky. Don't over view it if that makes sense. The lighting can effect it. I have good results with a sunny day and my back to the sun to create a shadow and hold the sample about waist high. I pour the sample back and redo the test just to confirm I'm getting a good read on it. You can do that a couple of times.
Could you tell us how much CYA you have added in total, including the last addition ? I think your heading in the right direction. It has to be the CYA as you losing basically nothing over night and no CC's. We'll get it. ?

I wish I could tell you now much I have added totally. There are a couple of 28oz containers. Then several scoops from a 4lb bucket from Leslies. Then the bucket got kicked over. The bulk of it was added directly by dumping into skimmer (before I knew better). The last 20 oz were with a sock in the skimmer. I cannot tell you how good it felt to only add 19 oz this evening to bring me back up to 8 ppm. The nightly ritual was dump a 121 oz and that would be gone by 11:00 am the next day. Add another 121 and it would be gone by 5. Today was a definite win. By the way I took the elbow out of the return and put in the eye ball. Just for kicks.

Have you backwashed your filter since you added it via the skimmer ? If you didn't backwash how long has it been since you added it thru the skimmer. Just want to see if it could be sitting in the filter still dissolving.
Now you know the right way to add it. Good to hear it only took 19 oz to bring your FC back up. Hopefully your getting somewhere !! ?

This morning
FC = 7.5
CC = 0
PH = 7.5
TA = 160
CYA - will check a bit later.

loss of .5 FC over night. We will see how it holds up through out the day. I am looking at that TA number - sure would like to pull that down to 90 or 100.

Your pH doesn't seem to be moving up very fast, so I'd still pass on worrying about that number. It'll find a happy place on its own.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had a pretty busy day still lost about 1 ppm per hour. Had to give it a small bump just after lunch then a full 4 ppm bump just before sundown. Didn't get a chance to do a CYA today. I had a very large quote to get ready for work. Tomorrow I plan on lots of time on the motorcycle. I will make sure those at home give it a half a jug just after lunch. Just in case.

Today was a banner day. I added enough (57 oz) to get me from 5 ppm to 8 ppm at about 3:30. Just now at 7:00 I had to add only 38 oz to get me from 6 backup to 8. That is a significant difference from the almost 242 oz + to get through a day in the recent past. I have never dropped below 4 and it is getting easier to predict how much I will need to add on a daily basis. I checked the CYA earlier today and it is a 40. I will check again in a day or two and see if it registers even higher. I did a bit of vacuuming today and the pool looks fantastic.

Haven't checked CYA in a couple of days but I think it is just about right. From last nights add to the add this evening we only lost 3 ppm of FC. That is a full day of sunlight. I am very happy with the progress and thrilled with my beautiful clear sparkly water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.