Pea green and frustrated

For now I wouldn't worry about your TA levels. Only really worry about them when/if your pH hits around 7.8. Go ahead and add another 20oz of CYA using the sock method. This should raise you up around 40ish in which you should see a HUGE difference in the amount of chlorine you drop during the day.

As for the 242oz you added and the difference in how much your FC increased. Can you check the label of the bleach you are using for the strength? Is it labeled as 8% or 6% Sodium Hypochlorite? Using PoolMath and 13k gallons for your pool, 242oz of 6% Bleach would increase your FC level up only 9ppm.

Leebo - Thank you. The bleach label says 8.25% SH.

I did have some good news last night. I did dose the pool up to 15 ppm. That took another 183%. This morning I checked FC and was at 14.5. I will add more CYA later today.

Good afternoon. I was out of town for a week and just instructed my DW to dump a 121 0z container of bleach in each evening and I would straighten stuff out when I got home. Here are the test results I just ran at 4:00 pm friday afternoon.

FC=0
CC=0
TA=150
PH=7.5
CYA=35 this is a new test for me - I think I read it right.

The one item that really surprised me was FC=0. 121 oz dumped in nightly I expected to see some. We are still experiencing bright and sunny days. It all burned off? Thoughts?

Good afternoon. I was out of town for a week and just instructed my DW to dump a 121 0z container of bleach in each evening and I would straighten stuff out when I got home. Here are the test results I just ran at 4:00 pm friday afternoon.

FC=0
CC=0
TA=150
PH=7.5
CYA=35 this is a new test for me - I think I read it right.

The one item that really surprised me was FC=0. 121 oz dumped in nightly I expected to see some. We are still experiencing bright and sunny days. It all burned off? Thoughts?
with low CYA and sunny days it can burn off, but what is your normal loss per day?

Get it up,to your target and conduct an overnight chlorine loss test to see if some thing is growing.

How does the water look?

Results of the OCLT.
Last night I tested 4 ppm. This morning at 6:00 am = 3.5 ppm. So I have that going for me which is nice.

So according to the chart with my CYA level I should be somewhere around 4 or 5 FC. I will add a bit to raise it. I know this is a probably an unanswerable question. How much Chlorine will the pool consume? <-- Don't try to answer that. More importantly how many bottles do you buy and how often? Don't want it sitting around too long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am wondering if I need a higher level of CYA given that the pool is in full sun most of the day. I have done an OCLT and passed a couple of times now. Here are my current numbers.

FC = 0 - 5 (yes a range it get consumed during the day very rapidly)
PH = 7.5
TA = 150
CYA = 35

In the morning my pool will be at FC 4.5. After a couple of hours (4 -5) of sunlight that level will be gone. 0 to none. Boost it back up to 5 (still daylight). That evening it will be very close to 0 once again. Water is perfect - no debris in the pool. I have read on the forums if you have lots of sun it may be beneficial to run a higher CYA. Thoughts? I am going through at least 121 oz of 8.25% a day. It could be more but I am not adding it only to burn it away. I add heavily at night so it stays in the water and has the largest impact.

Actually, your FC should never get below 3 and you should target 7. You should add just a tad over 1.5 lbs of cya (25 oz) to get it up to 50. Test your FC/CC every evening after the sun is no longer on the pool. And dose to get back up to 7. You have to do this religiously!
Updated: rereading the entire thread, it seems you don't know how to do an OCLT. First, after you dose to get your FC up to your target, you need to retest after the sun is down. Keep your pump running over night then before the sunrises, test again. If your FC loss is<1, you've passed. Thinking because you dosed to an fc doesn't make it so. You must test to confirm it!
Once your cya is up to 50 then your levels are 4 min and 8 target.

Yes I have done the OCLT correctly several times. I dose it up and let it mix then test. I have had several instances where the dose did not move me to the number so I have had to add an additional dose to get to the number. Then I check it the next morning and pass. Your FC numbers are off. Looking at the chart my target is between 4 and 5. Once I move the CYA up it will be 6. You do not reach the 7 until a CYA of 60. Every night I hit 5 (verified by a test). Every morning I retest and have been consistently between 4 and 5. I will add enough to bring it back to 5 (verified by a test). At noon it will be 0. Bring it back up to 5 (verify) late afternoon it will be back at zero. In the evening I experience less loss and maybe only need to bump it 2-3 to get it to five (verified by test). By that time I have added almost 2 - 121 oz jugs per day. That is why I am wondering if moving to 50. It would protect the chlorine more effectively. I am considering moving the CYA up using Pucks. It solves two issues for me, maintains a level and slowly introduces CYA. Once the numbers hold then move back to liquid and pull the floater. This will skew the results given the constant flow of chlorine from the floater. It will be hard to estimate what my real loss is. I like the sneak up on it approach though.

If it isn't completely obvious I get a little testy regarding tests. I test and retest to verify my wife thinks I have lost my mind. She says the water looks fabulous which it does and why don't I relax.

Your FC numbers are off. Looking at the chart my target is between 4 and 5. Once I move the CYA up it will be 6. You do not reach the 7 until a CYA of 60.

This depends on what tool you're using. According to pool math, my target FC is 8 and my CYA is only 45. The pool calculator is a better tool than the chart since it will show you exactly what your CSI is at any given time and you can play with the numbers to see what works best for your pool.

Yes pool math gives different ranges than the chart. The FC ranges given in pool math are the ones a give advice from and the FC range that I use in my pool. There is more wiggle room with those ranges so you don't fall below your min FC level. ?

Even with a CYA level of 35ish, there is no reason why you should be dropping your FC levels that much during the day. When was the last time you tested your CYA levels, and with what test kit?

Even with a CYA level of 35ish, there is no reason why you should be dropping your FC levels that much during the day. When was the last time you tested your CYA levels, and with what test kit?

I think that depends partially on bather load. It's still swimming season here in TX. :) I would agree to push the FC up to 7 .. maybe even 8 and then report back what you have at noon the next day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.