Pea green and frustrated

It's somewhat normal to see a large burn off like that still after sunrise. I'd expect you'll see a larger one once all your CYA is dissolved. The pump is running 24 hours still correct?

That's probably an hour after sunrise? We normally suggest doing the morning oclt before the sun is on the pool. Normally, there's enough light a half hour before sunrise to see what you're doing. But an hour or sunshine shouldn't result in much loss of FC so, continue with the slam.

Yeah the pump is still running 24 hours.

Timer - I was not going for an OCLT result. I just came off of a Baq conversion. I have changed my sand and started to add CYA. Not sure what I should be seeing for results now. During the conversion it was 15 ppm. I would imagine we will start allow the FC level to drop to normal levels. I am less than 24 hours away from my first CYA introduction. I am waiting a couple of days to test and will hopefully see that number near 30 ppm.

I will track it more closely. I wasn't watching for any kind of a over night chlorine loss considering I passed the baq conversion overnight test earlier in the weekend. Maybe I still have something hiding out in the lines. I did post a question about those ribbed flexible lines and their ability possibly to harbor stuff.

It appears I have something going on. 15 ppm last night. 10 ppm this morning. I just went out and looked everything over. Water is perfect, pool is clean. No ladders installed. The are very few places that anything could hide. I just spent some quality time with the skimmer. There was a film of stuff that was above the water line and even the underside of the lid. The walls inside the skimmer were slimey feeling. It all got the tooth brush treatment. Here is hoping that was the problem. I also brushed all around the skimmer port, return and light.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Once again I find myself rather frustrated. We have scrubbed and cleaned until we are blue in the face. I will state one more time that the water looks fantastic. My frustration lies in testing. My FC numbers seem to be whipping around wildly. As you see this morning we were at 10 ppm. I did not add any chlorine during the day. It just burns off. After sunset I did a test - FC = 0. Not a surprise - bright sunny day, CYA is still low (I did check it pretty close to 20 now). Added a full batch of chlorine to 283 oz to raise the level to 15 ppm. Give it a half hour or more to mix in. Test FC=9 ppm. Go to pool math get that adjustment from 9 to 15 add it. Wait a half hour or so - test FC = 22 ppm. WTH! Sit for a bit scratch my head. Thinking through the process. Then I realize I scooped the test sample with the measuring cup I add my bleach with - residue? Take the vial out to the pool dip it 16" deep. Bring it back in and test it. FC = 12 ppm. Just went out after 20 minutes. No chlorine added. Sample testing protocol same as last sample. FC = 15ppm.

Any advice? I will get up before sun up and do another test. Not sure where my baseline is. 12 or 15 at this point. I do know one thing for sure. My confidence level is very low.

I'd suggest you go to Leslie's if you have one close by and ask them if they'd give you a sample bottle. They're quick to give them out. Just don't take a sample to them for testing. Use that bottle only for taking water samples. I have no idea why your testing is so messed up. exact dosing isn't necessary that you need to use a measuring cup for. Exact results though it's imperative!

Wait a second you are telling me to go to the pool store :poke:

I will do that - the measure up was on hand to grab enough water for all of the tests. It didn't dawn on me that the cup I was using was the cup I was using to add chlorine. Things have settled out a bit since I took that out of the equation.

I am wondering when I move to the next stage. My CYA number is still around 20. Any chlorine I have in the pool is burning off everyday. I just checked and FC = 0. Will my chlorine start to stay in the pool even during the day when my CYA is high enough?

Yes. How much CYA did you add to the water via the filter when you first added it? Have you backflushed the filter after you added the CYA?

Lastly, can you post a current set of test results? The testing seems to be all over the place and I'd like to try and figure out why this is. There's something simple we're missing here.

My numbers as of 7:55pm
FC= 9ppm
CC=0
PH= 7.5
TA=150
CYA = 20

During the day my chlorine has been burning off. The 9ppm came from adding 242 oz of bleach. Which should have raised me up to about 13ppm. I have a aerator running right now so my circulation isn't all that great. I put some PH minus (sodium bisulfate) to lower my ph in a hope to pull the TA number down. My aerator is working too well and the PH bounced back up.

No backwash since adding 48 oz of CYA to the skimmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.