Pea green and frustrated

Re: FC test not behaving as expected

The CC should be under 1 ppm, yours is 2 if it took 4 drops to go clear. I would say something is in there consuming the Chlorine...I'll wait until someone jumps in.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I just read your posts and see you are concerned about the FC showing low. This is VERY common at the start of the conversion. The Baqua is hiding everywhere still and you're clearing all of it out. Keep adding chlorine hourly at first and you will notice a change in the amount of bleach you're using. Now that you've got a FAS/DPD test you're able to hit the conversion properly.

During our conversion we used up over 70 bottles of 6% (norm at the time) bleach. It uses a TON to clear it up.

Can you post a photo of the pool? It will give a hint of where you're at.

Ok I should be pretty close to 15 ppm. Now the amount of bleach in these last few adds has been going way down. I have to travel tomorrow I will try to get a picture up in the next day or so. The first night I dumped bleach in I got the expected yellow green cloud. The next morning I expected the cloud to be lingering and maybe lighter. It was gone. The clearest water I have ever seen in my pool. Now when I add bleach I get a transparent yellow cloud. Right now the entire pool has a yellow tint. I expect tomorrow morning that it will be clear again. Since it is rather warm and sunny in Texas I may just juice it up each night and check in the morning to see where I am. The Speedstir sure makes testing a breeze. My jug count right now is 14.

Re: FC test not behaving as expected

I jumped back over to my baquacil conversion thread to continue this update. I have added several more doses of bleach this evening and now my FC number is getting very close to 15 ppm. Have to get up and hit the road early tomorrow. Time to call it a night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok I had a lot of driving to do today and just got home. Overnight I dropped from 15 ppm to 5 ppm. I raised it up this morning. At least I dosed it to 15 ppm - not sure if it got that high. Tonight when I tested it down to 0 ppm. Just added the full 283 oz. to get it back to 15 ppm. There is an interesting observation. Yesterday when I added bleach it created a clear Yellow slick. Today and tonight when I added it no color change to the water at all. I take this as very good progress. I have some stuff gathering at the bottom that I think are baqua blobs. I will vac them out in the morning. Big rains coming tonight.

My water is so freakin' clear.

Oh one other point. My pool store guy had me change out the eye ball return to a right angle return. This makes a real nice current flowing around the perimeter but the center water sits rather stagnate. Thoughts?

This mornings result. FC dropped to 8 ppm overnight. I cannot see any thing in the pool that could be consuming the chlorine. The water is unbelievably clear. No visible signs of baquacil. I will keep it at 15 ppm as much as possible during the day but with no stabilizer it gets burned off in an instant.

With a large drop overnight (I assumed you started at 15ppm last night) as you've reported there's still something consuming the chlorine. Can you post a photo of the water to see before we suggest more?

Here is a pic. You can see the water is very clear. I just finished brushing and was not stirring up anything. I did back wash and that is still cloud in the sight glass. I am thinking it is constrained to the filter now. FC right now is 3 ppm. Sun is burning it off.

DSCN1386.jpg

I'm not familiar with a baq conv process, but is there some reason why you don't have any stabilizer in your pool? I use baq in my standalone spa and hate the odor it puts out when running. Think I'll not use it again when I fill for the winter this year. I don't run it during the summer.

I am following directions. No stabilizer until you go through the night and only loose 1 ppm. Then change media in the filter and add the stabilizer. Here is some real irony. The guy across the street has too much CYA and is looking at a drain. I have none in my water and will need some. Maybe we should try a transfusion. JK.

At this point you've got two choices. You can test/add hourly to quickly convert the Baquacil, however much of the chlorine will be consumed by the sun as you stated. The other option is to test/add chlorine only at night and early morning. This will take longer to convert, however will save some money by having less chlorine consumed by the sun.

If you dose only at night, report your finial FC reading just before bed, and your first FC reading as soon as you wake up.

I am going all in. I have some travel coming up and would like to be done before I leave. I just added to bump it up and will continue to check hourly.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way - Thank you for the help. My pool looks beautiful and the stress of the green water is gone. I am nerding out on the testing and that seems to be entertaining for the family. I am thrilled with the progress.

I KNOW they say to not change the sand yet but...................I have to wonder why? It seems to me that the sand can/will hold some of the bad stuff so make it harder to finish. That is just me and I will just say I am throwing ideas out there to see what helps.

See I would change the sand now and then change it again later IF I thought it would speed things up.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.