combine trichlor and liqiud chlorine?

edwin2014

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 18, 2014
Europe / The Netherlands
Pretty new to TFP but trying to learn quiclky :)
Not yet in the possesion of a proper testkit but will be at the end of october when i pick up one from the USA together with ahhsome cleaner.
In the meantime i'm working with aqua finnesse in the tub. The only measuring i have at the moment are some teststrips and they do not color at all for chlorine. At some point the tub became green and i put some dichlor granulate in it. That seemed to solve the problem.

Waiting for my trip to the states i'm now using aqua finesse combined with liquid chlorine but is disapears in one night.
When a add 350ml to the tub the test strip show >10 which is aspected but next morning a new teststrip is not coloring at all.
Water looks ok but feels a bit silky. When i have the testkit i'm planning to do a entire cleanout with ahhsome and start whith fresh water.

In the meantime is it a problem to use aquafinesse combined with liquid chorine?

thanks,
edwin

Which aquafinesse product are you using? Based on the thread title, it's trichlor tablets?

Using trichlor and bleach is fine at the same time but the most important part is being able to test for pH and FC/CC. I would stick to the bleach only to keep it clear or try to keep it clear but to really deal with it, you need to drain and start fresh or have a kit that can tell you all the levels you need to know. pH, FC, CC and TA for sure.

Have you read through the How do I use Chlorine in my Spa thread?

Also... trichlor in a hot tub can be used but it is also very acidic and can drive down your pH and TA too low if used in large doses or over long periods.

i'm using this one http://www.aquafinesse.com/nl/product/water-care-box/ (sorry for dutch but IE jumps straight to dutch) I.m not sure what aqua finnesse is using in the puck's trichlor or dichlor.
PH is somewhere arounf 8.5 if i can believe the teststrips. TA no clue.

Somewhere late octobre i'm in the USA and i already ordered a tf100 kit. When i come back in the Netherlands i will do a water drain and clean but until that moment i don't want to destroy the spa by combining the wrong stuff.
What makes it more difficult is that i'm not at home for 3 out of the 7 days of a week. So i told my grilfriend to keep an eye on the puck and add one if it is almost gone. When i am at hoem i put in about 90ml liquid chlorine 12.5% every day to make sure there is at least something that kills germs.

Yes i did read the "How do I use Chlorine" and i want to switch over as soon as i have the TF100 kit. Especially since i'm assuming that the ozonator is not working anymore, tub is from 2007 and i have no way to test if it works but i'm pretty sure that i don't smell any ozon at all. Not when i'm sitting in the tub and not when opening.

My mistake :(
I ment the part "i don't want to destroy the spa by combining the wrong stuff" meaning is it save to add liquid chlorine to the aquafinesse?
I'm now adding 90mL every 2 days to lift the chlorine assuming there is almost non in the spa. Even with the floater filled with the aquafinesse puck.
btw can't wait until i have the testkit.

Yep. Perfectly fine to use liquid chlorine with most any other product. It's never a good idea to add more than one product at the exact same time though. For instance, when you need to adjust pH and add chlorine, add acid first and allow spa to circulate with all jets running for at least 10 minutes (30 minutes in a pool). Then add chlorine and circulate again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.