Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pool Rockwall, Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Rockwall, Texas

They start digging monday! Oh dear... have I made all the right choices? did I forget something?

Heres the plan:
    play pool 3-5-4
    18'x35'
    18" raised 6 person hot tub, added glass tile
    12" raised wall with 3 scuppers
    LED light
    Pentair easy touch
    Racer cleaner
    Booster pump for water features
    sundeck with bubbler
    smartphone controlled interface

Our yard has a 26" slope, but its 65' wide and about 45' from house to rear fence with 10' easement.
    we are dropping the pool 6" from the house, but that will leave about 18" sticking out of the ground in the back about 12' from the back fence. I moved the pool away from the side fence so as to maintain a shooting lane for my archery hobby.

my immediate questions are:
    do I need a second pool light in the main pool, and we are putting a standard light in the spa, I wonder if that will look okay with the led in the pool.
    Did I miss any thing on the pool design

next up: I need to sort out the wiring for landscape lighting. since I dont know what I am going to do with landscaping, its hard to determine what I need. Pople sept 18.jpgPople Beam_004.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Rockwall, Texas

Good design, and excited for you to get started. I know how it feels to be a little overwhelmed, wondering if you made the right choices, second guessing yourself...etc.

I can't really comment on the 1 vs 2 pool lights. With its current position, it may create some dead spots on the sides? But maybe not, I'm just about a week ahead of you so I don't know for sure. I'll bet others will have something to add.

With regards to the spa light, I would think I would want it to match the pool light. Its just my opinion, and I don't know how much your PB would charge to upgrade, but I would think that you would like to be able to change the color of both the pool and spa, and not have the spa always be a white. Just my opinion, and I'm kind of fascinated by those aspects of the pool anyway (lights, automation, etc.).

Good luck and post lots of pics!
    Done! Pool build thread here
    38 x 18 free form, IG gunite with all gunite waterfall/slide/grotto
    18" raised spa, waterfall into pool
    Hayward 3hp Tri Star Pump x 3, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Hayward LED pool lights, Hayward LED accent lights, 400K BTU Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

$550 for the spa upgrade. I am also considering changing the bubbler on the sundeck to the illuminated one. But I am not sure that the Easy touch system allows you to control them independently.
    They sure want a lot for some of this stuff. You can buy a water proof led light at the store for $10.

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the pool light a multi-color LED or just white?
    If colored, you definitely should add a second light as the colors do not light up the pool nearly as much as white lights. If white, I think you would want a 2nd one as well. You are going to have a lot of dead spots with the light in the location shown.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with Jason. If you are only going to go with one pool light, under the skimmer on the right might be a better spot. I would think that would distribute the light better than in the middle of the pool facing the opposite wall.
    Done! Pool build thread here
    38 x 18 free form, IG gunite with all gunite waterfall/slide/grotto
    18" raised spa, waterfall into pool
    Hayward 3hp Tri Star Pump x 3, 525sqft Swimclear filter, Polaris 280 cleaner
    Hayward LED pool lights, Hayward LED accent lights, 400K BTU Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I can imagine that you'll be much happier if you choose 2 or more LED lights (plus one for the spa). LED lights are not as effective as the traditional 500W incandescent light. For a pool your size, a single LED light won't light up very much, even if you choose a very light color plaster or pebble surface. If you choose a dark surface, you will have even less available light reflected out of the water.

If you do go with a darker surface, you can save a few $$$ by going with a white-only LED pool lamp. The darker surfaces mute the difference between any of the light colors, so your best best bet is single-color LEDs.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

7. Back To Top    #7

I only have one LED (Pentair Intellibrite) in my big pool. It is plenty for me.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Hobert?

9. Back To Top    #9

yes Hobert, and it is an intellibrite 5g. After talking with builder again, he said thats the best place for it, and could add a second but will make it very bright. Position keeps the light from shining in your eyes, and lights the wall with scuppers a little. I was told the end by the skimmer, being only 3' is also pretty shallow for the light.

So My thinking now is that best thing might be to spend the $550 for the spa light, and add the $680 led bubbler light to the tanning ledge. That would solve the dark spot problem, by giving another accent. Pool lights are $850 plus wiring. ouch.

10. Back To Top    #10

Howdy Neighbor,

I would most definalty get the LED light in the spa. We have a total of 4 lights. One in spa and three in pool. We have the Jandy led system and everyone loves it, we can changes colors with a push of a button. ( I believe there are some pics in my build link) just make sure the lights are not facing you when you approach the pool, you don't want a bright light hitting you in the face. I agree lighted bubblers are a must makes the pool look that much cooler at night. ( we have these see my link)

I added an extra GFCI outlet behind my pool for landscape lighting and for powered speakers. It cost me and extra $350, My PB was cool with this and allowed me to directly negotiate with electrician vs. being up charged through contract.

Be ready to go through an emotional rollercoaster as your backyard will look like a bomb went off. I know I went through all the emotions happy, excited, angry, frustrated, etc... just remember you are making an investment for you and your family.

Hope this helps. Keep posting pics!
    Completed 38'X21' IG Free form pool approx 18.5K gallons, sports pool w/spa and tanning shelf 3.5-5.5 ft. Jandy Cartridge Filter, Jandy stealth pumps, Jandy LXi Heater, I aqualink, Inline chlorinator. Click to see My Pool Build

11. Back To Top    #11

Well, these guys are flying along... They are working on coping, and "the RockWall"...
    I will post photos soon.
    I did go with the LED light in the Spa, Pool, and Also added... an LED bubbler on the sundeck. Hopefully its worth it.

I have made many small changes along the way...

If I have one tip for every builder...You HAVE to be home while they work if you are a picky person like me. Other wise little things will drive you crazy. Example: the guy had layed out all the stones for the coping, but this morning I went and pulled many of the black, and other ugly rocks out.
    While I was at work, they did the Tile. While the tile does not have a desginated up and down, it obviously was graduated glazing, and clearly have an up and down. So once they are in water, you probably wont notice, but I will see that some are sideways, upside down, etc.
    Last example: they were working on the wall, and cutting the stone very large and pretty straight. I told him to make them more irregular. They did, but there was a clear line where he had stopped cutting them straight. They were able to add some cuts and grout to angle it up.

SO in a nutshell... be home and watch whats going on...

photos to come.

12. Back To Top    #12

I can't wait to see this one!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Gosh, tapatalk is terrible... uploading photos from a phone to this website is quite a hassle.

14. Back To Top    #14

Really? I use an older version tapatalk, but it is very easy. In the reply, click the camera icon, select the picture, choose hosted by tapatalk and it is added to the post.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post
    Gosh, tapatalk is terrible... uploading photos from a phone to this website is quite a hassle.
    I use Tapatalk a lot and never had a problem with photos. One of the easiest ways to add photos IMO. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

16. Back To Top    #16

hmm, when I uploaded photos, they were very low res. I guess I need to host them elsewhere for this website.

17. Back To Top    #17

Here's the yard before.

18. Back To Top    #18

And away they go...
    Staking out the hot tub

I already made changes to the tanning ledge

Digging yourself into a hole

19. Back To Top    #19

Rebar the next day

That's a big water gun. This is the loudest process, and my neighbor just came home with a new born. Sorry guys!

20. Back To Top    #20

Hot tub time machine

Table base

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast