Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: General Question about SLAMMING

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

General Question about SLAMMING

Luckily in my first year I have not had to go through the SLAM process. Pool is closed. I enjoy the forum and most questions and the learning process is answered by reading posts occasionally. But I do know that next year I will have to help friends with this problem.

So my question is as follows:

Why does the PH about to be adjusted between 7.2 and 7.5 while SLAMing? I fully understand the reliability tests at higher chlorine levels, etc. I doubt most people would go swimming if they had a green pool unless it was cleared up. Once cleared then the PH can be adjusted accordingly. Does the PH rise while SLAMing? Can the PH just be left alone if it was between 7.4 and 7.8, or could some damage be caused to a Vinyl Liner or plumbing during the process?
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: General Question about SLAMMING

You can assume that during the SLAM pH is going to rise some. Heck, just the added areation of brushing and running the pump 24/7 is going to cause rise.

Bringing it down to 7.2 before you start gives you head room for rise during the SLAM.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I guess maybe I am asking if the PH has to be adjusted or this can be done after the SLAM process? Then again, the TA will drop and you will be in the same position to increase TA, etc. Best thing to do is never get to a SLAM unless it just happens.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I guess maybe I am asking if the PH has to be adjusted or this can be done after the SLAM process?
    I'm not sure I understand. Is there a specific reason you do NOT want to adjust pH beforehand or are you just curious as to why?

The "why" is simply because you are working towards having your pool water within suggested guidelines and pH is the first parameter to adjust. I can't think of a a scenario in which you would not want pH within guidelines first.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Curious to know why? That is all.

As I mentioned before my pool is closed and I have had great success with the TF-100 kit and luckily I found this forum in my first season before I ran into problems. And believe me if I listened to the Pool Store my CYA level next year would have been 100 + and probably full of metals.

Wanted to know if I help a friend clear up a pool next year if the PH can be lowered (assuming it is high) at the end of the SLAM process. But I will follow the instructions accordingly if I have to help a friend.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    You can assume that during the SLAM pH is going to rise some. Heck, just the added areation of brushing and running the pump 24/7 is going to cause rise.

Bringing it down to 7.2 before you start gives you head room for rise during the SLAM.
    I think this pretty much explains it. It's exactly how I would have replied if I saw the question first.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Thank you everyone

8. Back To Top    #8

Take a look at this thread, if you haven't come across it before:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...efore-shocking

Thread was started in 2010, but there are some updated posts from 2014 also; interesting comments from chem geek and other knowledgeable posters.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

9. Back To Top    #9

^in other words, lowering ph to 7.2 makes the slam work better because chlorine is more effective at lower ph
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, the reason I gave for lowering the pH first wasn't so much for chlorine effectiveness though that is a factor, but rather that the pH when adding a lot of chlorine goes up a lot and can risk metal staining or cloud the water with calcium carbonate which then has one think the pool isn't getting cleared of algae when it really just needs the pH lowered (say, by letting the chlorine level drop back down).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"