Heat pump v gas heater

grottoguy

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 24, 2014
NJ
I am in the process of building a pool in NJ, but haven't picked my PB yet. My pool will be about 1200 square feet, have a variable speed pump (probably Jandy), a Aqua Comfort AC-150 Heat Pump, a Polaris 280 with 3/4 booster, a Rockwall and Grotto (inside Grotto there will be 6 Jacuzzi jets and blower), 2 Laminar Jets, 2 LED Bubblers in a sunshelf, 2 Ledlights in pool and one in Grotto, Jandy PDA P8 remote control, 90% Quartz finish, Zodiac SWF 185 GMP waterfall pump, Levelor K1100 autofill, and Autopilot Digital SWG. My pool will have 2 skimmers and (as of now) 5 returns. Most piping is 3 inch.

I would like to keep the pool at a constant temperature from June through August (maybe 85 or 87) and keep it as high if possible in May and September. I know from all the threads that a gas pump will work better in May and September but am curious how much more it would cost to run a gas heater than the heat pump in June through August if I want to keep a constant temperature.

Thanks

It depends. What do you pay for electricity and what do you pay for gas?

Generally, if gas $/therm is 5x more than electricity $/kwh, then a heat pump is cheaper to operate.

Here in CA, gas always wins.

My contract calls for an AQUA Comfort heat Pump ACT-1500 (150,000 BTUS). I could upgrade to the ACT-1750,which is 166,000 BTUs. But the Act 1750 requires a 50 amp breaker (as opposed to a 40 amp breaker for the ACT-1500) so the PB wants 900 for the upgrade (in part for extra electric). Does anyone have an idea of how much better the larger heat pump will operate on my pool?

Thanks

I think that aqua comfort inflates its efficiencies, and BTU ratings.

One of their sales reps just made up a bunch of **** when I asked them why they don't submit their heat pumps for AHRI testing to support their claims.

$900 sounds like a lot to increase the wire from a #8 to a #6.

I would however get the largest heat pump I could afford because that 10% in size someone times pays for itself in efficiency (i.e. aquacal SQ 155 vs 175).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.