Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st year pool closing question

1. Back To Top    #1

1st year pool closing question

To cover or not to cover...that is the question!

What a great, stress-free 1st season we had, thanks to TFP!!

Now I'm debating how to close our AGP. Obviously never done a closing before so I'm turning to you pool vets out there for advice.

I don't know if I should wait till water temp drops below 60, bring FC to shock level for 24hrs, then drain 6" below skimmer/return jets and cover...OR
    Keep the cover stowed in shed (no leaf problem here) and just run the pump on low all winter to keep any freeze danger away...netting any debris that may blow in.

I'd like to go with keeping the pool running all winter but appreciate yall advice!
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!

2. Back To Top    #2

1st year pool closing question

Covered will have less debris and hold FC all winter as long as you cover and bring FC up to shock level when water temp stays under 60. Hold off as long as you can. I pull my pump and filter right after I bring it to shock level and when the air temp starts to get below freezing. Mines covered right now.
    Not covered you'll lose FC over the winter and maybe have to keep tabs on it. Plus the dirt and what not you'll get in the pool.
    In the end it's your call. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: 1st year pool closing question

I close mine so I don't have to pay to run a pump and filter and SWG all winter with no swimming benefit!
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Each pool and preferences are different. For me, I find it easiest to leave mine open all winter. Almost same climate as you have in Va Beach......probably we're a bit colder but not much.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Each pool and preferences are different. For me, I find it easiest to leave mine open all winter. Almost same climate as you have in Va Beach......probably we're a bit colder but not much.
    Three questions:

1. So I assume its just a matter of keeping the pump running 24/7 to ensure the lines and pump don't freeze up? I didn't know if I needed to do that or if I could maybe have it off during the "warmer" part of the day and only switch it on at night??

2. Should I take the cartridge filter out and run pump without it or no?

3. Any need to rubber insulate my pvc water lines and/or large filter housing??

Thanks for any help!!
    24' Round Above Ground - 13,500 gal, Cartridge Filter, Installed on 5-7-14, First Time Pool Owner! TFP True Believer!

6. Back To Top    #6

bump

7. Back To Top    #7

Somebody makes a cold water detector that will turn the pump on when it gets down to a point that the water might freeze. I have read a few posts about it on this board, but thats all I know about it.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    Somebody makes a cold water detector that will turn the pump on when it gets down to a point that the water might freeze. I have read a few posts about it on this board, but thats all I know about it.
    That sounds like an interesting device...I would probably be to paranoid that it wouldn't turn on 😁

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    Dave - I'm fairly close to you (in Durham) and plan to keep the pool open this winter. We have tons of leaves, but I'm not ready to drill holes into our decking for a cover just yet.

For both me and the OP, what are your priorities with the pool during the winter in this climate?

Cheers and thanks for such a great community here!
    Jon
    11,500 gallon mountain pond shaped vinyl line / Hayward 2spd pump / Hayward S244T sand filter (filled with zeobrite) / Hayward PL-P4 Automation panel / Hayward SWG (T-3 Cell) / Polaris 280 with booster / Hayward AquaConnect / Hayward CrystalLogic color changing LEDS