Pool company plumber says I don't need airlock on main drain?

valpo

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2012
I am having some repairs done on a return line, so the pool company plumber went ahead and did the closing for me today. I noticed that he blew out the main drain line at the shutoff valve junction near the pump. He then added antifreeze to the line, re-attached the shutoff valve and called it good. I questioned him about the lack of an air lock and he said that was not necessary due to the depth of the main drain line. This seems odd to me since all previous closings have used the airlock approach - any input on this?

He is right, as long as the water is below frost line it won't freeze. But it's easy to do and that's why I do it. I like to blow out what I can, add a little antifreeze and create an airlock to keep the water from pushing back up the pipes. I sleep better.
If its below the frost line and he put some antifreeze in it, your fine.

Ah...ok, I though you were talking about the main drain.

Yes that was my fault sorry, But I have done that before, add antifreeze to main drain with airlock. It's pretty simple if you blow out through the pump with a compressor. Blow the skimmers as usual and plug those. Then turn the skimmer valve to OFF. Now your main drain is open , open up the clean out basket at the pump and pour in the antifreeze. I only use a gal.
Turn compressor back on and it will push the majority of water out before the antifreeze gets there. Then turn the valve to off on the drain side and create an airlock.

I don't do this anymore because I put my cover on month before I blow the lines and I can't see the main when it starts to spit the orange antifreeze.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.