Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorine level question

1. Back To Top    #1

chlorine level question

How high can you raise your chlorine level on a vinyl lined pool without damaging the liner?
    16x48 (6000 gal )Intex Ultra 1/2 HP Sandpro sand filter Hydro Tools skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: chlorine level question

It generally depends on how high your stabilizer level is. Why do you ask?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I have already accidentally bleached out my liner getting rid of mustard algae and I do not want to make the same mistake in the future.

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow, you must have nuked the pool for a long time. We do not "shock" our pools, we follow the SLAM Process when there is a problem and that includes a higher level of chlorine for only 24 hours to get rid of the mustard.

I see you have your pool information in your signature, but we also ask for your location in your profile as location can affect answers to questions.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

I have not had any battles with algae yet (Knock on wood!). You need a good test kit and keep track of your chlorine levels (both free and combined) as well as your stabilizer (CYA), PH, and alkalinity (TA). With this information you can calculate your target chlorine level. Stay in this range and hopefully you will not have algae problems to begin with. I find that managing PH first makes hitting all of the other target levels easier.
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

6. Back To Top    #6

I did follow the slam process but I had a high cya at the time.

7. Back To Top    #7

I was hoping someone would know what the highest ppm is that I could go to without damaging my liner in the future.

8. Back To Top    #8

How high you can go without damaging your liner depends on your CYA level. What is your current CYA?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

9. Back To Top    #9

At the time my cya was over 100 so I brought it up to 40 ppm. I have since dropped it down to 30 but I am asking theoretically in case I need to slam in the future.

10. Back To Top    #10

It depends on your CYA level. I would try to keep the FC in range of this chart:
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock

But you are just throwing darts if you don't know your pool chemistry. I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable will come along and answer your question if you post a full set of test results.
    TF-100 | 13.6k gal (24' Round) AG | Chlorine | Sand Filter | Two Speed Motor | Installed June 2014 | Last Opened April 24 2016

11. Back To Top    #11

I am not sure how to say it any differently than has already been said ....
    The safe FC level is a function of your CYA level.
    At shock level according to the FC/CYA Chart, there should be almost no risk of fading your liner due to the chlorine.

Now if you keep your pH too low, that could also fade the liner. There was also a thread where we suspect the liner was defective and it faded for apparently no good reason.

Follow the chemistry recommendations you find here and your liner should be fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!