Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honey Bees

1. Back To Top    #1

Honey Bees

Anyone have any ideas on how to get rid of them, they just started swarming on outside of house two days ago.Thanks

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Honey Bees

Any idea where they are coming from? Do you possibly have a hive in the yard?

I've found that they are attracted to my hummingbird feeders, so you may think of putting one or two up at the edge of the yard.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Ive got a propane powered fogger that i use for mosquito control around the pool. I "spike" the fogging insecticide with Permethrin. Permethrin is highly toxic to bees. Alternately, you could use a one gallon sprayer with 3oz of permethrin for bee killer. I can make up a "can" of bee killer for about 25c. Its the active ingredient in some insect sprays. You can get it at most feed stores, a large bottle (16oz) is $10.
    NOTICE: Any pestiside chemical ending in -rin is toxic to cats in more than minute amounts. (Permethrin, cymethrin, etc......)
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

4. Back To Top    #4

Why would you want to kill honey bees when their populations are dwindling?

If they are causing a problem, I am sure there are bee removal companies that will come and get them ... not sure if they even charge to gather honey bees.

Likely they will move along shortly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I called them they wanted 450.00 to take them alive...

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

They will build honey combs in the attic which is open...don't want that, ***** to remove then.

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
    I called them they wanted 450.00 to take them alive...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Wow, I would've never guessed that. For that price I'd live in harmony with them.😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Harmony, they do damage...

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

9. Back To Top    #9

Yea I know. Just a jest 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

10. Back To Top    #10

I would try to lure them away from the house. Use a sweet liquid (sugar water) in a bowl. Start closer to the house and move it away over the course of a few days. We get them as well and this works. But know this.....

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

11. Back To Top    #11

Well just to clarify, I do know the difference between a honey bee and wasp, and i do use the "spiked" fogger sparingly around the pool and carport only, where i used to get red wasps and yellowjackets. Those i terminate without a second thought. I have been stung by a red wasp by just walking by their nest about 15 feet away. Heat of the summer makes them real *****.
    We also have around here what we call a wood boring bee. It looks just like a large bumble bee. They drill 3/8" holes in untreated wood (pine) and can weaken building structures. Those don't last long either.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)

12. Back To Top    #12

I would guess you contacted an exterminating company that quoted $450.

Jason is correct in that our bee population is threatened and declining. Before killing them see if the Beekeepers Association of Southwest Florida may have some guidance for you. They have an info email address as well as addresses for the officers o their organization.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

13. Back To Top    #13

Definitely agree with the last post. Wasps suck. Just like Mosquitos, I can't figure out why they exist. I always tell my kids never to kill a bee. They will not sting unless provoked or trapped. I would try to encourage them to move away from the pool with some other attractant. Maybe plant some flowers away from the pool to try to get them to congregate there instead.
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

14. Back To Top    #14

When and if you find it necessary to kill bees/wasps/hornets/yellow jackets, I'd suggest a much less toxic solution - soapy water.

A tablespoon of dish soap in a quart of water is quite effective. The soap reduces the surface tension enough so they can drown. A super soaker is a quite effective delivery mechanism.
    IG gunite 20k Gal (estimate), Nautilus NS-60 filter (D.E.), Single speed pump (unreadable nameplate - assume 1HP) on a crappy mechanical timer.
    And a worn-out Kreepy Kraully. TF-100.

15. Back To Top    #15

There must be a higher power, i decided to go into the hot tube, after relaxing a bit i feel a sting, yup a honey bee in the water.

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    I would guess you contacted an exterminating company that quoted $450.

Jason is correct in that our bee population is threatened and declining. Before killing them see if the Beekeepers Association of Southwest Florida may have some guidance for you. They have an info email address as well as addresses for the officers o their organization.
    I called bee keepers, which catch alive...i didnt want to have to tear my roof open to remove the honey comb, so could not wait. Exterminator wanted 250.00
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

In our area, beekeeper a come and get them for free, as they are needed. Perhaps you could put an ad out.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

18. Back To Top    #18

I would try to find a solution that doesn't involve killing them all off but I do understand wanting to prevent damage to your home. I'm going through a similar dilemma right now with wood******s and my cedar siding. I've tried lots of deterrents and have patched far too many holes in my siding. That pellet gun is looking mighty tempting...

Also the anatomy of a wasp:

Haha. Apparently wood****** is a bad term. I'll go with DestroyerOfSiding-er from now on.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    I would try to find a solution that doesn't involve killing them all off but I do understand wanting to prevent damage to your home. I'm going through a similar dilemma right now with wood******s and my cedar siding. I've tried lots of deterrents and have patched far too many holes in my siding. That pellet gun is looking mighty tempting...

Haha. Apparently wood****** is a bad term. I'll go with DestroyerOfSiding-er from now on.
    Have you tried trapping them? We have land in the mountains of NC and all the neighbors with wood houses have traps which are basically a wood board with predrilled holes that lead to a glass bottle kind of a come to the light kind of thing. They always seem to be filled with dead ones. It's because of these buggers that I have a brick house. The next one will be HardiPlank all the way around!

Here is an example of the trap;
    Carpenter Bees: How to Get Rid of Them With This DIY Trap!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
    I called bee keepers, which catch alive...i didnt want to have to tear my roof open to remove the honey comb, so could not wait. Exterminator wanted 250.00
    Won't you still need to get rid of the comb?

20. Back To Top    #20

Haven't checked yet, but they were there no more than 3 or 4 days...shouldn't be much according the bee keepers.

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast