Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: (Stupid?) Question on reading TA test

1. Back To Top    #1

(Stupid?) Question on reading TA test

The last few times I've tested for TA, I put in the buffer drops and the drops that turn the sample green. I get to 6 drops of the reagent and after swirling the red disappears and we still have a green solution in the vial. On the 7th drop and the swirl, the green disappears ... But no red...we essentially have a clear solution in the vial. On the 8th drop of the reagent and swirl we then turn the full red.

So is my TA 70 or 80?
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: (Stupid?) Question on reading TA test

Quote Originally Posted by eqbob View Post
    The last few times I've tested for TA, I put in the buffer drops and the drops that turn the sample green. I get to 6 drops of the reagent and after swirling the red disappears and we still have a green solution in the vial. On the 7th drop and the swirl, the green disappears ... But no red...we essentially have a clear solution in the vial. On the 8th drop of the reagent and swirl we then turn the full red.

So is my TA 70 or 80?
    What happens at drop 9? If there is no change from 8, then 80. Keep putting drops in until there is no change and at that point disregard the last one you put in.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

No change at the 9th drop.
    So I guess I will go with 80.
    I've been thinking it was 70 since that's what got rid of the green.
    Central TX / 12K GAL / IG / SWG / DE filter / Pentair SVRS & 3 swim jet pumps / Spa bench and jets / Single body of water / No heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

ALL the tests (FC, CC, TA, CH, salt*) are done until the last drop causes no further color change and that drop does not count.

*For the salt test, I think you are done at the first appearance of red and with another drop it goes brown. I am not 100% on this.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok. Thanks. I've added some more acid to dump the TA and will allow it to aerate back up. It's all in balance even with the level of 70 or 80, but I can get it tighter.