LifeTime Supporter
Jun 27, 2012
Lafayette, Ca / USA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I reported earlier this summer about some 'dirty staining' going on in my pool. I am 99.999% certain this is NOT algae, but laziness on my part on not brushing enough. My figures have been solid all summer (see below) & water looks great. All I can say is that regular Brushing of the walls/bottom does NOT remove this 'dirty stain'. But a Magic Eraser definitely cleans it - and leaves a scrub line from the eraser.

We'll likely be unable to swim (too cold water) in about 3 weeks so I was thinking of doing a Shock treatment of the pool in hopes to totally eliminate any chance of organics causing this. So looking for some guidance on my options. (are there more than 1, like JUST a ton of Chlorine bleach?) PS - went on 8 days vacation 2 weeks ago. Dumped (4) Gallons of 12.5% Chlorine in before leaving. FC was 1.5ppm when we returned. I immediately bumped it back up to 5.0ppm

So, my questions for the experts:

1 - is it normal to do a yearly "shock" treatment? (I have NEVER done one in the year of having it freshly re-surfaced (fiberglass spray on))

2 - Would the better method be the SLAM approach?

3 - Could I just dump in Algaecide (polyquat???). (e.g., Leslie's pools)

4 - Absorbic Acid treatment?

5 - what might you recommend or point me to in PS ? My biggest concern is that anything I do NOT harm the Fiberglass surface.

My figures:

FC = 5.0
CC = 0.0
CYA = 45 (I think. But you know how THAT goes! Could be 40)
PH = 7.5
CH = 225
TA = 80

Thanks in advance !

Are you going to "close" your pool for the winter?

2. What does your water look like?

3. Have you attempted to identify the stain in any way other than the magic eraser and chlorine?

Yes - closing for swimming until next May, but not DRAINING (sf bay area - no freezing here)

water actually looks great - but I have a visible line where I was able to reach with the "eraser". I can't get down any deeper without weights & a tank. And I've really REALLY attempted to brush it off to no avail.

Yes, have tried to identify (based on suggestions here earlier this summer) ... but nothing revealing. So was just looking for a Nuclear solution to attempt to get the walls & bottom brilliant WHITE again, like it was after the initial refill in Feb 2014.

Well, I had to do a little digging because I assumed that a Magic Eraser would be a sponge impregnated with a cleaning solution. As my wife regularly points out, I was wrong.

From How Stuff Works I found thins:

The secret behind these types of erasers is a material commonly called melamine foam. With just a little water, melamine foam can dig in and destroy stains that other products can't touch.

It seems the eraser is actually abrading the stain, like fine sandpaper not cleaning it.

So, I would say that just "shocking" your pool is not going to get back that white that you are looking for.

OK, so THAT won't work (Shocking) ... Any idea of other solutions to Whiten a pool back to original? Absorbic acid? any other ideas? (PS - and I don't have to apply much pressure on the Magic Eraser for it to 'work' .. I can actually see whatever is on the surface 'cloud' when wiped. Doesn't appear to harm the surface at all. It's just as 'rough' after the swipe.)

thanks

I'm certified, just no Tanks .. :)

Honestly though, is it your opinion that a whitening solution is not available? e.g., Absorbic Acid, or a SLAM of the pool? I'm having a hard time believing there is no way to apply SOMETHING that will remove this dirty appearance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.