Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: End of Season - good time to SHOCK ?

1. Back To Top    #1

End of Season - good time to SHOCK ?

I reported earlier this summer about some 'dirty staining' going on in my pool. I am 99.999% certain this is NOT algae, but laziness on my part on not brushing enough. My figures have been solid all summer (see below) & water looks great. All I can say is that regular Brushing of the walls/bottom does NOT remove this 'dirty stain'. But a Magic Eraser definitely cleans it - and leaves a scrub line from the eraser.

We'll likely be unable to swim (too cold water) in about 3 weeks so I was thinking of doing a Shock treatment of the pool in hopes to totally eliminate any chance of organics causing this. So looking for some guidance on my options. (are there more than 1, like JUST a ton of Chlorine bleach?) PS - went on 8 days vacation 2 weeks ago. Dumped (4) Gallons of 12.5% Chlorine in before leaving. FC was 1.5ppm when we returned. I immediately bumped it back up to 5.0ppm

So, my questions for the experts:

1 - is it normal to do a yearly "shock" treatment? (I have NEVER done one in the year of having it freshly re-surfaced (fiberglass spray on))

2 - Would the better method be the SLAM approach?

3 - Could I just dump in Algaecide (polyquat???). (e.g., Leslie's pools)

4 - Absorbic Acid treatment?

5 - what might you recommend or point me to in PS ? My biggest concern is that anything I do NOT harm the Fiberglass surface.

My figures:

FC = 5.0
    CC = 0.0
    CYA = 45 (I think. But you know how THAT goes! Could be 40)
    PH = 7.5
    CH = 225
    TA = 80

Thanks in advance !
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: End of Season - good time to SHOCK ?

Are you going to "close" your pool for the winter?

2. What does your water look like?

3. Have you attempted to identify the stain in any way other than the magic eraser and chlorine?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes - closing for swimming until next May, but not DRAINING (sf bay area - no freezing here)

water actually looks great - but I have a visible line where I was able to reach with the "eraser". I can't get down any deeper without weights & a tank. And I've really REALLY attempted to brush it off to no avail.

Yes, have tried to identify (based on suggestions here earlier this summer) ... but nothing revealing. So was just looking for a Nuclear solution to attempt to get the walls & bottom brilliant WHITE again, like it was after the initial refill in Feb 2014.
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

PS - this was the initial post about the "stain" ... never got anywhere with the issue and no solid suggestions, other than "brush" ... which does nothing to remove.

Thanks

5. Back To Top    #5

Well, I had to do a little digging because I assumed that a Magic Eraser would be a sponge impregnated with a cleaning solution. As my wife regularly points out, I was wrong.

From How Stuff Works I found thins:

The secret behind these types of erasers is a material commonly called melamine foam. With just a little water, melamine foam can dig in and destroy stains that other products can't touch.
    It seems the eraser is actually abrading the stain, like fine sandpaper not cleaning it.

So, I would say that just "shocking" your pool is not going to get back that white that you are looking for.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

OK, so THAT won't work (Shocking) ... Any idea of other solutions to Whiten a pool back to original? Absorbic acid? any other ideas? (PS - and I don't have to apply much pressure on the Magic Eraser for it to 'work' .. I can actually see whatever is on the surface 'cloud' when wiped. Doesn't appear to harm the surface at all. It's just as 'rough' after the swipe.)

thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

SCUBA lessons are inexpensive. Then you can use the eraser on the lower half!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm certified, just no Tanks ..

Honestly though, is it your opinion that a whitening solution is not available? e.g., Absorbic Acid, or a SLAM of the pool? I'm having a hard time believing there is no way to apply SOMETHING that will remove this dirty appearance.

9. Back To Top    #9

If it is metal staining, then an AA treatment should lift it. Easy to test by setting a vitamin C tablet on the stain for a little while..
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!