Do I need to do anything special to handle drainage around pool?

Aug 4, 2014
Allen, TX
My pool is completely in ground and I am getting ready to backfill. I am going to be backfilling either with 3/4" crushed limestone, or with mixture 3/8"-3/4". Before I backfill, I poured collar around a pool 12" wide, 6" high as per instructions. My question is, do I need to install any drain around the pool, and how would that work, as the whole pool is in ground? Do I need to install a sump pump? If not, what is the point, as the gravel already serves as drain handler. Or am I missing something?

It depeds very much on local conditions. Since I have the slope on my property, my perimeter drain just runs out until the ground drops away. If you can't do that, a pump may be required. The hole dug for the pool can still fill with water, even with gravel in there. It has to have someplace to go to avoid floating the liner when there is heavy rain or high water table.

I am in Texas. There will be a concrete deck around the pool, all gutters from the house already drain into the alley, and there is not much soil around the pool that would allow water penetration, but still water can come underground from anywhere. I am more concerned about hydrostatic pressure than wrinkles. Do you guys think I need to dig up a water relief area and place a pump in there?

Without pictures at least and an understanding of what happens to your lot when it rains and your soil its difficult to give advice. I can say that generally you want to avoid concentrations of water near your pool. The surrounding area (especially the back filled area) should be well drained and should not have underground water sitting there. Most folks don't need a sump pump but french drains are common. Generally you are concerned about water migrating from other areas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.