Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fountain basin repair with epoxy resin?

1. Back To Top    #1

Fountain basin repair with epoxy resin?

Hi all, I haven't been here in awhile. It's good to see the site is still going strong!
    I tried the google, with no luck, so I came to the experts for this problem. I hope you can help.
    I have a small patio fountain with a stained glass inlay bottom. It has sprung some leaks under the bottom

What can I put on the top surface that can be submersed in water to stop the leaks that is clear? TIA
    AGP, POPUP, 3800GAL. SWG 2000 GPH pump. Over the wall skimmer. SE TX. NEWBIE

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fountain basin repair with epoxy resin?

Are you planning on covering the entire glass area or just around the perimeter?

My first thought is silicone caulk which will dry clear.

Epoxy resin is usually not UV safe and will yellow over time.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Yep, silicone!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi thanks for the reply. I knew this was the right place to ask!
    Yes, the intire surface, I can't tell where it is leaking from the top.
    I Have found them on the bottom and will seal it also, tho it need not be clear.
    I guess I'll try the GE Silicone II. Is that the kind you mean? Everything else
    day's it can't be left below the water line or submerged below.

5. Back To Top    #5

I ran across this while I was wandering the aisles of the big box store over the weekend. It is not clear however.
    Mike

http://greatstuff.dow.com/products/pond-and-stone/
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
    I ran across this while I was wandering the aisles of the big box store over the weekend. It is not clear however.
    Mike

http://greatstuff.dow.com/products/pond-and-stone/
    That's nice to know they make that in dark color, now they don't need to paint it.
    Won't work for this app. but I like it. Thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

Silicone would be a good choice because it is removable if it doesn't work/look right.
    A thin coat of fiberglass resin might be another alternative, but the downside is if its too thick it will have a yellowing effect.
    Randy H.

Intex 18' X 48"
    G.A.M.E. Sandpro 75 Sand Filter (Single Speed 3/4 HP, 75 lbs sand, 2650 GPH, 7-way valve)