Difficult to get pump to start

Jun 9, 2014
Suwanee, GA
Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

Hey, I have a very similar problem, difference is that my breaker doesn't trip, my pump just doesn't start until a few more attempts... I think it can be the capacitor?

Ok, the problem is that my pump doesn't start at the first attempt, I usually need to try 3 or 4 times before it does... The breaker does not trip it's just that I need to try several times and lately it's taking more attempts...

Any suggestions on what to get checked out?

Thanks

Why The Pump doesn't start in the first attempt?

Merged by moderator. Please do not ask the same question in multiple threads. Thanks, jblizzle

Hi guys... New house with old pool, the problem is that my pump doesn't start at the first attempt, I usually need to try 3 or 4 times before it does... The breaker does not trip it's just that I need to try several times and lately it's taking more attempts...

Any suggestions on what to get checked out?

Thanks

OK, I got a new capacitor and it got better in the sense that now "When it starts" it starts immediately, so I think the new capacitor was needed anyway... The only remaining problem is that it doesn't start always at the first attempt... The breaker does not trip, it just doesn't start but after 2 or 3 attempts...

I saw a video in YOutube where this guys was cleaning some chunks of plants out of the pump, do you guiys thing I should open my pump and look for any residual stuff that might be stock inside the pump?... any idea what else to check?... can it be electrical?

Thanks in advance for your comments and ideas

How easy does the shaft turn by hand?

Some motors have 2 capacitors, a start and a run. You sure you did not just replace the run one and the start one is still bad?

If there are 2, one is usually inside the back cover by the wiring, also where you would try to turn the shaft (I think that is the start) and the hump on the side of the motor is the run capacitor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You might try finding a local electrical supply store and ask them if they have any start capacitors. You can give them the details of what's on that one hanging. Strange, I don't see the shaft in the center of the motor. Maybe your pic doesn't blow up well?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.