Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Difficult to get pump to start

1. Back To Top    #1

Difficult to get pump to start

Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

Hey, I have a very similar problem, difference is that my breaker doesn't trip, my pump just doesn't start until a few more attempts... I think it can be the capacitor?
    IG 13,500 gal Gunite|Built 2K|HAYWARD S244S Sand Filter|STA-RITE Max-E-Pro, 1.5 HP Single Speed, 3450 RPM Pump|PB4-60 Booster Pump, 3/4 HP for the Pool Cleaner|1 skimmer, 2 main drains, 3 returns|CYA Started: 150 Now: |Taylor K-2006 Kit|Polaris Pool Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Difficult to get pump to start

Ok, the problem is that my pump doesn't start at the first attempt, I usually need to try 3 or 4 times before it does... The breaker does not trip it's just that I need to try several times and lately it's taking more attempts...

Any suggestions on what to get checked out?

Thanks
    IG 13,500 gal Gunite|Built 2K|HAYWARD S244S Sand Filter|STA-RITE Max-E-Pro, 1.5 HP Single Speed, 3450 RPM Pump|PB4-60 Booster Pump, 3/4 HP for the Pool Cleaner|1 skimmer, 2 main drains, 3 returns|CYA Started: 150 Now: |Taylor K-2006 Kit|Polaris Pool Cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Why The Pump doesn't start in the first attempt?

Merged by moderator. Please do not ask the same question in multiple threads. Thanks, jblizzle

Hi guys... New house with old pool, the problem is that my pump doesn't start at the first attempt, I usually need to try 3 or 4 times before it does... The breaker does not trip it's just that I need to try several times and lately it's taking more attempts...

Any suggestions on what to get checked out?

Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like the start capacitor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Yeah, not an expert but that's what my common sense tells me... Thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

About duplicating the question, I'm sorry, I'm still learning this app and didn't find the original question.. Thanks again

7. Back To Top    #7

OK, I got a new capacitor and it got better in the sense that now "When it starts" it starts immediately, so I think the new capacitor was needed anyway... The only remaining problem is that it doesn't start always at the first attempt... The breaker does not trip, it just doesn't start but after 2 or 3 attempts...

I saw a video in YOutube where this guys was cleaning some chunks of plants out of the pump, do you guiys thing I should open my pump and look for any residual stuff that might be stock inside the pump?... any idea what else to check?... can it be electrical?

Thanks in advance for your comments and ideas

8. Back To Top    #8

How easy does the shaft turn by hand?

Some motors have 2 capacitors, a start and a run. You sure you did not just replace the run one and the start one is still bad?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I dont have clear access to the shaft, I may need to take some stuff apart to try... I'm not sure about the extra capacitor, unless the other one is inside, outside has only one... I guess I need to open the pump...

10. Back To Top    #10

If there are 2, one is usually inside the back cover by the wiring, also where you would try to turn the shaft (I think that is the start) and the hump on the side of the motor is the run capacitor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

It does, it does have another one !!! Lol ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412373564.267509.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412373581.035509.jpg

All I need now is to Amazon it!!

Will post the results

Thanks

12. Back To Top    #12

You might try finding a local electrical supply store and ask them if they have any start capacitors. You can give them the details of what's on that one hanging. Strange, I don't see the shaft in the center of the motor. Maybe your pic doesn't blow up well?
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

13. Back To Top    #13

I found it in Amazon, its 5 buks

Mars 11041 Motor Start Capacitors 36-43 MFD 250/220V
    Mars
    Link: http://amzn.com/B00E1N06RE

and yeah, I was also expecting to see the shaft... I may need to look closer or move a few pieces away to get access to it... However this capacitor reads it was made in 2003, I think it can use a replacement LOL

14. Back To Top    #14

I'm in the electric motor repair business and it could be the centrifugal starting switch which is in the motor. If the contact is burnt the motor won't start.
    18' x 30' Completely Automated Fox Pool
    2 Pentair Intelliflo VS pumps
    Pentair 250 HD Heater
    Pentair Cartridge Filter & IC 20 Chlorinator
    Intellitouch i10 Automation & Sheer Descent x 3