Athens, GA - USA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
What exactly is the purpose of the pillow? Is it to keep the cover out of the water? Or is it to allow expansion for ice? Can I use one of the kid's big floats as a pillow? Do I even need to worry about one at all?

Thanks in advance!

It does both. Allows for ice expansion and to decrease ponding of water and debris in the middle of the cover. As long as hard freezes are not an issue you could probably do without. If you drain below the returns and want to decrease ponding on the cover the cover pillow would work better since it would have more height than a standard pool float. You could also use a cover pump to drain the water that accumulates on the cover. You just have to be careful there are no holes in the cover so you don't drain the pool!

From personal expierence ... think of your pool as a giant Tupper Wear container that has plastic wrap over the top of it. Now poor a cup of water on top. Where does it settle? By keeping the center elevated you force the water to the outter edges of the pool along with any leaves and junk that may also fall on top of the cover.

I rarely have pillows survive the whole winter without popping by spring. Does anyone sell quality ones built to survive a tough winter with snow & ice?
I have a 30' round pool and after owning it about 7 years I still don't know exactly what I should be putting under the cover for the winter.

TUBE FLOAT.png I have this one and a larger one from intex that has really thick vinyl. Lasted maybe 5 swimming seasons. Big one on bottom smaller one on top & I tie them together in four places. The big one has openings where a string used to be.

I use truck inner tubes two years after the second I had to get rid of them. One got a hole and the other was deteriorating.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.