Safety valve?????

ricwol

Mar 11, 2012
wood-ridge,nj
Hey guys. Quick question. I had the pool guy in April put a new liner in. He also put , what I think he called, a vacuum safety valve. He said its mandatory, so I agreed and he installed it. My question is, what is that valve called. It's about 6 " round and screwed , with 4 screws, to the intake on the side wall of pool

I think I've found my answer . I believe it's called a vgb valve. Is this correct?
Sounds like it. the VGB would refer to the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool & Spa Safety Act which deals with the installation of anti entrapment devices on pools. A vacuum safety valve would fit the bill.

You probably have a drain that can be blocked by part of the body and this valve would release the pressure so you could not be held under water.

Thanks Tim. Another question. Can I take that valve off so I can plug up the intake so I can winterized my pool. Or should I just air lock that line
You got me on that one, I will leave it to some one who may have a similar valve.

Just as an aside, it would help us if you would add the following information to your signature

• The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
  • If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
  • Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
  • What kind/model of water test kit you are using
  • Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

What you describe sounds like an anti entrapment cover instead of a svrs valve. SVRS valves usually go in the plumbing near the pump or on the pump drain plug to allow the system to draw in air in case of an entrapment.

A picture of it would help us decide of it's safe to remove it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.