Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH rise

1. Back To Top    #1

pH rise

Having to add 16oz acid almost daily. Current test values: FC=7; CC=0; pH=8; TA=75; CH=260; CYA=45. I just recently went to liquid chlorine addition and am adding .25 gal/day via a Stenner pump. I add it all in a 2 hour period and everything is great except pH. I do have waterfalls and bubblers but to minimize aeration I cut way back on total circulation time to 2.5 hours in the morning and 1.5 hrs in the evening. I have seen where several of you say to lower TA to 70 or 80 and pH will stabilize. I am in that range but if I don't add acid I exceed 8.0 in 3-4 days. Anybody have a clue as to a better way to keep pH under control?
    15,000 Gal.; Pebble Sheen; Pentair Intelliflo 3 HP VS; Pentair Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter; Polaris 380; Taylor K-2006 test kit; liquid chlorine; borates

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH rise

How old is your pool ? If you still have things curing that'll keep raising PH levels.
    Try cutting back on the water features some more and see if that helps. It could also be the nature of the beast.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

You asked: "Anybody have a clue as to a better way to keep pH under control?"

How about using one of many pH automation tools ?

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you have borates added? That may help.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by wjr75 View Post
    Do you have borates added? That may help.
    Borates are listed in the signature-

Bob, do you know your borate level?

As Jeff said, it may just be what your pool consumes due to all the stuff you have happening. I have a slightly bigger pool and I'm also adding every 3 - 4 days to keep it below 8
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Borates are 50 ppm. Pool is 1 year old with Pebble Sheen.
    15,000 Gal.; Pebble Sheen; Pentair Intelliflo 3 HP VS; Pentair Clean and Clear 420 cartridge filter; Polaris 380; Taylor K-2006 test kit; liquid chlorine; borates

7. Back To Top    #7

I just had a pebble sheen refinish this year in May and have went through 8 gallons of muriatic acid to keep my ph in check. I hope mine is cured by now before closing for the winter.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System