Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Starting with Stenner

1. Back To Top    #1

Starting with Stenner

I have ordered a Stenner pump to be used with my Pentair Easy Touch 8. I have used one of the open auxiliary positions to hook up a GFCI plug for the Stenner. I plan to program the Stenner to come on at various times during the day to disperse 12.5% chlorine. I chose the 22 gal per day as this is 58.66 oz per 1/2 hour. This way the pump will have a shorter run time say 15 min. several times during the day(I realize the exact time will have to be reached through demand analysis). Does anyone have an opinion on what are the best times to add? Is it best to spread it out over several additions or is there an advantage to one big dump and then letting the ppm ride down throughout the day? I can also set an egg timer in the easy touch and create a button in the features section of screen logic that would allow me to push the button and have a set time for an addition say for extra hot days or heavy bather loads (what would the ppm increase that is a standard for heavy bather load? Is anyone else using the easy touch to control add times for a Stenner pump and what has been your experience?

Thanks a lot,
    RKnight
    Houston Texas area, 19,400 Gal., IG, Gunite, Pebble sheen pool with 1,273 gal. spa. Pentair equip.: Intelliflow variable speed pump (pool), Whisper flow 2.5 HP (6 scuppers), DE filter 60 Sq feet plus, Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830 robotic cleaner, Ultra pure ozonator 25k gal., Stenner pump with 15 gal tank (s1g45mfh7a2s) , 1.5 HP Silencer Blower, EZ touch controller system with Screen logic system. Installed 08/2014.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Starting with Stenner

When I started, I had mine add chlorine twice a day, evening and morning, but ended up going with early evening only after a week or so. I find it easier to add one dose to get to your "high" target and let it drift down to your "low" target before adding more. I think evening is better in that you are at your highest chorine level the longest injecting at this time.
    30,000 plaster in-ground pool with spa; 2.5HP single speed Centurion pump; Raypak RP2100 propane heater; Polaris 280 with pump, waterfall with separate pump, Triton II commercial sand filter; TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

I don;t use automation. I just tied my Stenner to my pump time clock and have adjusted the flow to keep my chlorine as close to the middle of my range as possible. Less sun and cooler days have dropped my chlorine demand so I am dialing back the % to keep the FC from rising too fast.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Do you increase your pump speed when running the Stenner?
    Houston Texas area, 19,400 Gal., IG, Gunite, Pebble sheen pool with 1,273 gal. spa. Pentair equip.: Intelliflow variable speed pump (pool), Whisper flow 2.5 HP (6 scuppers), DE filter 60 Sq feet plus, Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830 robotic cleaner, Ultra pure ozonator 25k gal., Stenner pump with 15 gal tank (s1g45mfh7a2s) , 1.5 HP Silencer Blower, EZ touch controller system with Screen logic system. Installed 08/2014.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by RKnight View Post
    Do you increase your pump speed when running the Stenner?
    i only have a single speed pump, but I don't see a reason why the speed would matter other than the amount of time for the chlorine to get dispersed in the volume of pool water.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

I too only have a single speed pump but I'm sure pump speed makes no significant difference.
    30,000 plaster in-ground pool with spa; 2.5HP single speed Centurion pump; Raypak RP2100 propane heater; Polaris 280 with pump, waterfall with separate pump, Triton II commercial sand filter; TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

My pump is usually running 1000 rpm when the stenner is injecting. The injection rate is .8 oz a min. so even at the lowest speed you should be ok. You will be putting in a little less than 2 oz a minute.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by RKnight View Post
    I have ordered a Stenner pump to be used with my Pentair Easy Touch 8. I have used one of the open auxiliary positions to hook up a GFCI plug for the Stenner. I plan to program the Stenner to come on at various times during the day to disperse 12.5% chlorine. I chose the 22 gal per day as this is 58.66 oz per 1/2 hour. This way the pump will have a shorter run time say 15 min. several times during the day(I realize the exact time will have to be reached through demand analysis). Does anyone have an opinion on what are the best times to add? Is it best to spread it out over several additions or is there an advantage to one big dump and then letting the ppm ride down throughout the day? I can also set an egg timer in the easy touch and create a button in the features section of screen logic that would allow me to push the button and have a set time for an addition say for extra hot days or heavy bather loads (what would the ppm increase that is a standard for heavy bather load? Is anyone else using the easy touch to control add times for a Stenner pump and what has been your experience?

Thanks a lot,
    RKnight
    Can ypu provide pump model #

Thanks