Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Protective Cover For Motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Protective Cover For Motor

Hi, folks! New, first-time pool owner here. Love this forum!

Just replaced our motor. Asked the tech if he had any recommendations for extending its life. He advised getting a cover for the motor... as the heat and humidity in FL was the major cause of its early demise. He said they run around $17.

Wanted to check with our group of experts here on this as well.

Also, what's your projection on the average life expectancy of this pump (US Motors, 1 hp, 3450 rpm, 230/115 volts, 60 hz)?

Thanks in advance.
    /L

7,000 gallon, IG, concrete aggregate pool, Hayward single-speed pump (SP2807X10) w US Motors electric 1 HP / 3450 rpm motor, Hayward Star Clear Plus filter (C751) w cartridge (CX760RE), Taylor K-2006 test kit, SW FL.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Protective Cover For Motor

Protection from the elements is a good idea. I have yet to do it myself, but plan to add a cover over all my equipment.

No telling how long a motor will last, could be 2 years, could be 10+
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

My pump is 12 yrs old. It's protected by the side of the house, I do take in in during the winter.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

4. Back To Top    #4

Was away for several days.

Thanks for the responses.

Will be going forward with the cover.
    /L

7,000 gallon, IG, concrete aggregate pool, Hayward single-speed pump (SP2807X10) w US Motors electric 1 HP / 3450 rpm motor, Hayward Star Clear Plus filter (C751) w cartridge (CX760RE), Taylor K-2006 test kit, SW FL.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I have two pumps, side by side. I just bought an inexpensive storage bin which would fit over both. Flipped it upside down and cut out the front and back so that it sets over both pumps motors. It shields them from the sun, protects from rain, yet allows plenty of air circulation for cooling. Best part is the bin only cost $6 at Home Depot.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit