Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water line tile grout?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water line tile grout?

Hello TFP members, I am an architect designing a new single-family residence with a pool in Los Angeles and would like to know what grout people are using for the water line tile. We have had mosaic tile come loose in the past on some projects and are looking for the best water line tile grout on the market. Our office has specified C-Cure "MP Non-Sanded 923" in the past which seemed to work. Is there a product any experts would recommend? Maybe a Laticrete grout? Anyone used C-Cure in the past? Lastly, is it better to used mosaic tile with a mesh backer or does it not matter? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Pool Size: 9,000 gallons
    Pool Type: In ground, plaster
    Filter: Pentair 4000 Series D.E. Filter
    Pump: 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo WFE-4
    Heater: Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 200
    Salt System: ECO-matic ESC 36
    Pool Cover: CoverStar, motorized cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water line tile grout?

Doing some more research in the office I found a spec from a pool consultant... this seems like a pretty good spec. The construction budget for the house is about $8 million (about $125k) for the pool, so money is not a problem. We just want the most bulletproof spec money can buy. Thanks.

Pool-Specs.jpg
    Pool Size: 9,000 gallons
    Pool Type: In ground, plaster
    Filter: Pentair 4000 Series D.E. Filter
    Pump: 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo WFE-4
    Heater: Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm 200
    Salt System: ECO-matic ESC 36
    Pool Cover: CoverStar, motorized cover

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Any latex-modified tile grout will perform fine. An epoxy based grout is even better but much more difficult to install and, therefore, fewer tradesmen that can do a nice job with it.

By far, the biggest reason for waterline tiles coming off is improper installation and prolonged, severe weather. There is no type of grout that can save a shoddy workmanship or exposure to weather conditions over time.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Just out of curiosity is the grout or thinset more important to prevent tiles coming off? I was under the impression it was the thinset.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

5. Back To Top    #5

Some group (I can't remember the name) puts out a standard and paper faced is preferred glass tile type. Standard requires 95% or better contact of tile to thinset. Good info here ...

http://www.glasstile.com/pdf/install...lation2012.pdf

6. Back To Top    #6

If the tiles are coming off, the thinset was applied improperly or was the wrong type. Grout doesn't do anything except look nice!
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

7. Back To Top    #7

I had to repair my waterline mosaic tile that came loose. I used a product called E-Z Patch 22 from http://e-zpatch.com/index.html. I used it to both stick the tiles back onto the wall and as the grout between the tiles. The replaced tiles stick better than the original, "professional" job and the product looks lots better than the original grout (no spalling, efflorescence, etc).

I'm not a professional, though. If money is no object and someone will take the time necessary, I think it would be a nice-looking, effective solution.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.