Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Huge chlorine appetite

1. Back To Top    #1

Huge chlorine appetite

We have owned our home since July 30 and I feel really comfortable with my pool. The liner was replaced two weeks before closing so the water is fairly fresh. I have found that any acid, baking soda etc. I add less than the calculator recommends since smaller amounts of these things always hit my goal.

Chlorine is another story! This pool has always had a huge appetite and even with no swimmers and cooler weather it doesn't seem to be any less. I seem to have to add a gallon a day or more to keep my level at 7.

I was coming and testing the water before closing and the PB always had at least five pucks in the chlorinator at a time and the level was always 1-2.

My pool sits in full sun from around 9 am until sundown so I know it will take more but I see folks on here with similar size pools use a lot less than I do. Is this normal?

My CYA is at 40 because I know someone is going to ask
    Last edited by Chrissykr; 09-23-2014 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Added CYA info
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Huge chlorine appetite

If your chemical dosages are always overshooting, sounds like the pool may be smaller than you think and you should lower the # of gallons in PoolMath.

What is your CYA level? Post up a full set of test results.

FYI, it is normal to lose 2-4ppm of FC everyday. I a pool your size, that would be 66-132 oz of 8.25% bleach. So, one 121oz bottle each day could be normal.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

What are your current test readings?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

I verified my size with the liner installer and he gave me a copy of the measurements and we measured the pool three times after moving in. I wanted to make sure I understood everything about my pool LOL

My test results from yesterday

FC 6
    CC 0
    CYA 40
    TA 120
    PH 7.5
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Chlorine is consumed by two things.........sunlight (which you have minimized by having 40 CYA in the pool) and organics. The inescapable conclusion for your excess chlorine consumption is organics.....even though you may not see them.

The solution is to SLAM your pool by following the article in Pool School precisely. If you do it right, this SLAM procedure will kill the organics and your chlorine consumption will return to normal.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School