Pump won't start breaker trips every time I turn it on

Mar 2, 2012
Cooper City, FL
Hello, The breaker for my pool keeps tripping when I try to turn it on. I cannot get it started. It has happened in the past, but I would just turn off the breaker and the back on and it would work. Last week, this happened and I was not able to turn it on for days until one day it just worked. The pump is a Hayward MaxFlo 1 HP

I already disconnected the pump from the circuit and the breaker did not tripp, so it looks like it is a problem with the pump. It has been raining a lot lately (I live in south Florida) I called the contractor that did my pool and told me the pump was out of warranty because it has more that 3 years and that I need to buy a pump cover because the pump is getting too wet.

Any ideas on what might be causing the issue or any steps that I might follow to troubleshoot the issue?

Also, what is your take on the pump cover? I don't trust the contractor based on past experience with them and wanted to get the point of view of the members of this forum.

Thanks,

Aroldo

Sounds like the motor is wet and causing an internal short ... or the motor is going bad. You can just replace the motor on the existing pump ... I would recommend upgrading to a 2-speed version if you do.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.

I think the pool builder is correct, protect the pump an it will last longer. Some sort of a cover that will keep the rain off/out but still allow airflow around it. It may dry out and start working again, but probably not for long.

I was able to fix the issue. I took the motor apart and after safely shorting (discharging) the capacitor, used a blow dyer to dry it out. It was a little humid, but not wet. Put it back together and voilà it started working and has been running since. Let's see how long before I have to replace then motor.

Thanks for your help I will definitely get the cover.

Yup, motors don't like to be wet. Glad you got it working. Glad you thought to discharge the cap.

You want to keep the rain and splashing water off it, but still get goo air circulation. With your humidity & afternoon storms it's always a little wet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.