Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump won't start breaker trips every time I turn it on

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump won't start breaker trips every time I turn it on

Hello, The breaker for my pool keeps tripping when I try to turn it on. I cannot get it started. It has happened in the past, but I would just turn off the breaker and the back on and it would work. Last week, this happened and I was not able to turn it on for days until one day it just worked. The pump is a Hayward MaxFlo 1 HP

I already disconnected the pump from the circuit and the breaker did not tripp, so it looks like it is a problem with the pump. It has been raining a lot lately (I live in south Florida) I called the contractor that did my pool and told me the pump was out of warranty because it has more that 3 years and that I need to buy a pump cover because the pump is getting too wet.

Any ideas on what might be causing the issue or any steps that I might follow to troubleshoot the issue?

Also, what is your take on the pump cover? I don't trust the contractor based on past experience with them and wanted to get the point of view of the members of this forum.

Thanks,

Aroldo
    10080 gallons 28x12 rectangular pool. 1HP Hayward Maxiflo pump. 75 sqft Hayward Cartridge Filter. SWG Hayward Aquarite. iRobot Verro 300 Pool Cleaner. Plaster color Pewter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump won't start breaker trips every time I turn it on

Sounds like the motor is wet and causing an internal short ... or the motor is going bad. You can just replace the motor on the existing pump ... I would recommend upgrading to a 2-speed version if you do.

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I think the pool builder is correct, protect the pump an it will last longer. Some sort of a cover that will keep the rain off/out but still allow airflow around it. It may dry out and start working again, but probably not for long.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

I was able to fix the issue. I took the motor apart and after safely shorting (discharging) the capacitor, used a blow dyer to dry it out. It was a little humid, but not wet. Put it back together and voilą it started working and has been running since. Let's see how long before I have to replace then motor.

Thanks for your help I will definitely get the cover.
    10080 gallons 28x12 rectangular pool. 1HP Hayward Maxiflo pump. 75 sqft Hayward Cartridge Filter. SWG Hayward Aquarite. iRobot Verro 300 Pool Cleaner. Plaster color Pewter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Yup, motors don't like to be wet. Glad you got it working. Glad you thought to discharge the cap.

You want to keep the rain and splashing water off it, but still get goo air circulation. With your humidity & afternoon storms it's always a little wet.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon