Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing. Shock really needed?

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing. Shock really needed?

Split by moderator from HERE. Please start your own thread to ask your own questions ... it will be less confusing and you will get personalized responses. Thanks, jblizzle

Just curious - is shocking really necessary before closing or is it more of just in case recommendation?

I've had 0 issues since I started using Clorox he 8.25%. Interestingly, I've had days (sunny, low 90s) when 24hr FC loss was under 1ppm. (I didn't really have issues with Austin Chlorine either, but like Clorox better - more predictable. I think Austin may not always been 12.5%)

For the last of couple weeks I didn't test my water, knowing that 64oz of 8.25% adds 2 and raises FC back to 5. (cya 30-40. 22k). Today I tested it and it's 7.5-8. If I had to guess I probably had it above 5 for a couple of weeks now, since the water dropped to 70.

The reason I'm asking this - I want to close my pool this week and I want my FC be around 3 when I put the cover on, but I am not sure if it'll drop from 16 to 3 within 3-4 days. (solid cover manufactures recommend minimum chlorine level, if any). I can't say I'm a big fan of polyquat, used it last closing and had CYA <10 when I opened this spring, but I bought 1 gallon bottle, so I may as well use it

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing. Shock really needed?

I don't use anything in my pool when I close, but I wait until the water temp is below 60. Algae can't grow when the water is cold.

My cover is on now, and my pump runs 3 hrs A day until the water temp drops.

When spring gets here next yr. I open when the water temp is at 60 again.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by samt View Post
    I don't use anything in my pool when I close, but I wait until the water temp is below 60. Algae can't grow when the water is cold.

My cover is on now, and my pump runs 3 hrs A day until the water temp drops.

When spring gets here next yr. I open when the water temp is at 60 again.
    I'm assuming you have solid cover?
    What's your chlorine level right now?
    How long have you been doing it this way?

thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

Closing. Shock really needed?

Your CYA is the buffer for your chlorine. It takes the harshness away from the chlorine. Your cover will be fine. You should close when your water temp is below 60 and bring your FC up to shock level and cover. The polyquat is optional. I don't use it and always open to clear water and measurable FC. You open when the water temp is below 60. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by nikon5400 View Post
    I'm assuming you have solid cover?
    What's your chlorine level right now?
    How long have you been doing it this way?

thanks
    I have a mesh cover, my chlorine holds good since the sun doesn't hit it. I have been doing this for about 6 yrs.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by samt View Post
    I have a mesh cover, my clorine holds good since the sun doesn't hit it. I have been doing this for about 6 yrs.
    Mesh cover isn't laying on water like solid cover, I guess chlorine won't react with it.

Does running pump help avoid algae even when sun doesn't hit water?

7. Back To Top    #7

Mesh cover isn't laying on water like solid cover, I guess chlorine won't react with it.

Yes , I use the 3" pucks at this point. The water is still above 60 so I need to keep chlorine in it.

8. Back To Top    #8

How do you figure that? I have a solid cover and it doesn't lay on water neither.
    Free Form Gunite Saltwater Pool, 29,000 Gallons, Jandy DEL60 Filter, Jandy AquaPure 1400 Chlorinator, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Attached HotTub.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by RafaelS View Post
    How do you figure that? I have a solid cover and it doesn't lay on water neither.
    Mine always does, too much pressure on the cover otherwise, particularly when snow is on it.

How old is your cover?
    Who is manufacturer?