Impact of Salt Water Chlorinator on Oklahoma Flagstone

00xavier

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Sep 10, 2013
Melrose, NY
I have Pentair pool equipment and am considering switching to a salt water chlorinator so that I don't have to add liquid bleach to my pool every day. I am concerned the salt water system will eat away at my Oklahoma flagstone. If I seal the flagstone, will I still have a problem with a salt water system?

Maybe. We see reports or people having the flagstone fall apart and we see reports of people that say it is not a problem. Most of the bad reports seem to come from TX with Oklahoma flagstone I think.

IMO, you want to choose either stone or a SWG to avoid problems. But, if you were VERY diligent sealing everything, you might be ok.

I would consider a Stenner pump and liquid chlorine as opposed to the SWG. It will give you fits with that flagstone. The pump will lower your efforts and save you from constantly sealing your pool deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the setup you describe....SWCG and natural flagstone, and am also in Central Texas. It was sealed by builder upon completion 2 years ago. I have not seen any evidence of the flagstone being eaten away. I plan to seal the flagstone again shortly and contacted my builder for the recommended product. Got the recommendation and a local supplier.

I also have huge pieces of flagstone down in the back yard as stepping stones leading to the pool and smaller ones to the pad area and all around the pad. They all get copious amount of salt water on them. Not to mention the sprinkler system which is way worse than the pool. Again, no known issues. I regularly inspect for any cracks, crevices, chips, flakes, etc.

Now I do not know if mine is Oklahoma flagstone or not. I've never heard that modifier on it....but I never heard of different types of flagstones when we were discussing coping choices with my builder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.