Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Alternatives to polyquat?

1. Back To Top    #1

Alternatives to polyquat?

Hello all, I'm in day 2 of my slam before closing and I pick this up at the pool supply store did not see polyquat. Will this be ok or should I try to find polyquat? Also do I need to let my FC drop before adding algaecide? Thanks in advance!!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411411051.511149.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1411411062.393276.jpg

IG, steel walled vinyl liner, approx. 18000 gal. swg ( Hayward salt system), gas heated, with 250 lb sand filter and 1.5 horse pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Alternatives to polyquat?

We recommend polyquat 60 because it seems to be the most effective. Others may work, just not as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, should I let FC drop before adding it? I've heard that high chlorine levels could effect algaecide in some way?

IG, steel walled vinyl liner, approx. 18000 gal. swg ( Hayward salt system), gas heated, with 250 lb sand filter and 1.5 horse pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

You should return it. It has very little algaecide.

hth Aglae Guard MSDS say it has 5 to 15 % of the active ingredient: Alkyl (C12-C18) dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride 068391-01-5
    http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...nds&id=1031002

A recommended algaecide (60%) has 60% of the active ingredient:
    http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov...nds&id=3026001
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you so much!!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I would wait until you FC is halfway between shock and normal. The key to opening to a clear pool is to close when the water temperature is below 60.

You can get a recommended one via Amazon:
    http://smile.amazon.com/Kem-Tek-KTK-...ds=polyquat+60
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    2017 replaster/retile

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks guys I'll do some calling to see if any other pool store has it.

8. Back To Top    #8

Please add your location (City, State or City, Country) to your profile as described HERE as it will help us help you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

I ordered mine off amazon. My pool store doesn't carry it, so I ordered it from amazon.
    17.5 K gallons (16x32) vinyl inground pool with 1 hp pump and an old Triton sand filter. >20 years old. New 2015 Rheem gas heater. TF-100 Test kit. Little red robot and a Pool Blaster Max.

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

I always use Amazon. It is difficult to locate and always twice the price of Amazon.
    Karen
    2017 replaster/retile

11. Back To Top    #11

Sounds like a plan!

12. Back To Top    #12

previous owner left pool chemicals and there are 2 bottles of algaecide 50. should i throw that away and buy polyquat 60 or use it this year and start using the polyquat 60 next year? thanks!
    Greenville NC
    14,657 gallons IG vinyl pool 14x28
    1HP A.O. Smith Pump Polaris 9550 sport robotic cleaner
    Pentair Tagelus high rate sand filter 04C TA-60/60D

13. Back To Top    #13

Algaecide 50 is a linear quat so while it works as an algaecide, it can also cause foaming and it also breaks down more quickly from chlorine so has noticeably higher chlorine demand. Up to you whether you want to use it -- you could try it and if you don't like it then can discard it. I presume you are only talking about using it for closing the pool, correct? Algaecide is not needed when you are maintaining the pool at the proper chlorine level relative to the cyanuric acid level (i.e. following Pool School recommendations).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"