Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using change in FC level to measure pool size

1. Back To Top    #1

Using change in FC level to measure pool size

I am helping a friend set himself up for self pool maintenance. Ran the tests on his pool last night.

FC 3.5
    CC 0.5
    CYA 90

He has an odd sized pool. Our initial estimate of pool size was 15K gallons, and we added in 3 gallons of Chlorox. FC was 21.5 after 2 hours indicating we overestimated the pool size.

Can I use the change in FC levels to estimate his pool size (should be ~10K gallons based on the change in FC assuming no algae given low CC levels)?

The test was done in the evening so little Chlorine should be lost to the sun. The only piece I am not sure how to incorporate is the high CYA.

15K gal, IG, Pentair WhisperFlo, Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: Using change in FC level to measure pool size

Yes. While it may take multiple applications of different chemicals to get a more percise volume that way it can be a good way to verify the size.

I also have an odd shaped pool and narrowed my size down as best as possible that way watching what specific additions of chlorine and muratic acid did to my FC and pH.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Bakersfield, CA

I found PoolMath generated additions of mutriatic acid to be very accurate for my pool size before I added borates. Not quite so accurate after I added 50 ppm borates.
    Cheers, Peter
    20,000 gal, 52'x17' kidney shaped IG, Pebble Tec, IntelliPro P6E6VS4H-209L pump. Intellichlor IC40 SWG.
    300 sf Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter. Poolvergnuegen 4-wheel suction pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Use PoolMath. Put in whatever you think for capacity. As you add chemicals and see if it reacts as predicted, by trial and error, you can dial in the exact size.
    Tucson, AZ
    19k gallon Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS (3 hp) 011018, Super II 2hp (for spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE filter, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

As others have said, you can get an idea of the pool size based on chemical additions. BUT, not just this single data point. For adding chlorine you have 2 independent variables: 1. pool volume and 2. bleach strength. Both would affect the FC ppm rise.

In reality, there is no need to be exact on the pool volume.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Great. Thanks everyone for the quick response.
    15K gal, IG, Pentair WhisperFlo, Cartridge Filter