Do I need a Skimmer with the added Equalizer?

heatherpinkdolls

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2014
TX
I am in the middle of my o/b build and I am in the process ordering my skimmers, and I'm not sure if I should buy the skimmers that come with the equalizers? Especially since I will be adding a separate water lever. I am thinking they both serve the same purpose but obviously I am a little unclear. Some skimmers come with or without the equalizer and float. I was looking at the Pentair Bermuda's or their Admiral line. Unless someone has a different recommendation, i'm up for all suggestion. I am undoubtedly in need of some of your amazing advice.

The equalizer pipes are either connected to a lower hole in the pool or to the main drain (not preferred). The point of them in conjunction with the float diverter is a back up if your water level dropped below the skimmer level so the pump did not suck in air and run dry.

With an auto-fill, the odds of the water level dropping is lower. The only way you could run into an issue is if you had some catastrophic happen on the equipment pad, like the filter busting open or the multi-valve leaking to waste, these should be very unlikely, but both have happened to me :shock:

Jason,

I am so sorry to hear that both of these events have happened to you. Yikes!! So, hearing that it makes me think your advise would be to get both an auto water level and a skimmer with as equalizer. Is that correct? I have a another question Jason if it's not preferred to connect it to the main drain and it is better to a lower hole, what hole would I be looking for exactly?
Just because I am so new at all this plumbing schematic~ I just don't quite understand and I want to get it right. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

What kind of Skimmer's do I need to put in my Gunite Pool? Equalizer or Not?

I asked this in plumbing but I think that was the wrong forum. I am hoping it's okay to ask here where I should be.? However my issue is and I am feeling so desperate about it since I can't seem to figure it out on my own. I am in the middle of my o/b build and I am in the process ordering my skimmers, and I'm not sure if I should buy the skimmers that come with the equalizers? Especially since I will be adding a separate water lever. I am thinking they both serve the same purpose but obviously I am a little unclear. Some skimmers come with or without the equalizer and float. I was looking at the Pentair Bermuda's or their Admiral line. Unless someone has a different recommendation, i'm up for all suggestion. I am undoubtedly in need of some of your amazing advice.

Re: What kind of Skimmer's do I need to put in my Gunite Pool? Equalizer or Not?

I can't answer your question but can help by saying to keep all your posts together under one thread. Scattering essentially the same question throughout the site is very confusing to responders.

Someone should be along soon to help but don't start any more new threads, please.

Re: What kind of Skimmer's do I need to put in my Gunite Pool? Equalizer or Not?

I bought my own skimmer.

I bought a Hayward 2" skimmer with round lid. If you're using an auto fill, then probably just use a basic one.

When shopping for a skimmer, it was important that the lid size fit the custom bronze skimmer covers I bought. The pentair skimmer has a smaller cover and the company who makes them only makes the pentair size covers in plastic, not metal.

That was a big consideration for me because I dislike the look of round plastic lids in the deck.

Do you plan on having main drains or not?

The equalizer is suppose to prevent your skimmers from sucking air should the pool level drop below the skimmer or the skimmer get clogged. However, I have found that the floats do not always seal very well and so will allow air in anyway just not as much as without the float. It sounds like you have an auto fill so that will not be an issue. However, if you have a lot of deciduous trees that will dump a lot of leaves in the pool, then the equalizer could help during that time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I bought my own skimmer.

I bought a Hayward 2" skimmer with round lid. If you're using an auto fill, then probably just use a basic one.

When shopping for a skimmer, it was important that the lid size fit the custom bronze skimmer covers I bought. The pentair skimmer has a smaller cover and the company who makes them only makes the pentair size covers in plastic, not metal.

That was a big consideration for me because I dislike the look of round plastic lids in the deck.
Thank you Corleone, I have seen those covers that your taking about and they are so attractive looking. I can see why you would stay away from the Pentair skimmers, just for that reason alone. That in itself is valuable information for down the road and therefore I will mark Pentair off the list. I will definitely want to invest in those covers.

Do you plan on having main drains or not?

The equalizer is suppose to prevent your skimmers from sucking air should the pool level drop below the skimmer or the skimmer get clogged. However, I have found that the floats do not always seal very well and so will allow air in anyway just not as much as without the float. It sounds like you have an auto fill so that will not be an issue. However, if you have a lot of deciduous trees that will dump a lot of leaves in the pool, then the equalizer could help during that time.

Thank you Mark for your reply, Yes I am putting in two main drains. And We have no trees to speak of in our backyard! It's pretty bare in the backyard. I feel at least now with all this information I can move on and order the skimmers without the equalizers. You all have been wonderful! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

I have a main drain, and installed a new skimmer not tied to the main drain and without equalizer. The equalizer rarely works right after a few years anyway.
Smracing, Well it sounds as though you have had some experience with them. So thank you for your input. I chose to get them without! Thank you for your time.

Better to have and not need than need and not have. I'd put in the equalizer model. Even your neighbors' trees can plug your skimmers.

35 gal oval, vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS, Tagelus sand filter, Pentair Minimax NT heater, Pentair model 320 chlorinator. Billings, MT.

Is this your own residential pool?

Yes it is, or will be eventually ~

- - - Updated - - -

Better to have and not need than need and not have. I'd put in the equalizer model. Even your neighbors' trees can plug your skimmers.

35 gal oval, vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo VS + SVRS, Tagelus sand filter, Pentair Minimax NT heater, Pentair model 320 chlorinator. Billings, MT.

I think You are correct~ I went with the equalizer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.