Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thoughts on this setup for winter cover....

1. Back To Top    #1

Thoughts on this setup for winter cover....

Been trying to figure out how I'm going to anchor cover on this pool.... Stumbled across this idea on a whim.... Using rail caps to secure cover. Allowed enough extra inside pool for expansion when cover fills with rainwater/ snow so it won't rip.

Thoughts?

[IMG][/IMG]
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thoughts on this setup for winter cover....

First strong wind will tear those rail caps off and you will be chasing your cover down the street.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    First strong wind will tear those rail caps off and you will be chasing your cover down the street.
    Actually, I am using the cable tie too, and it's tight. 70 mph winds so far, it will ballon up some, but not too bad. I actually used caps to help with ballooning vs hanging bleach bottles or using bungees.

Other thoughts?

Thanks!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.

4. Back To Top    #4

Where did you find the caps at ? If it holds 70 mph winds I'd say your good. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Came with the pool. The covers just snap off with a "pull back toward you and up" motion

You can see them in this pic. I simply popped them off, put cover on, and popped them back on.

[IMG][/IMG]

6. Back To Top    #6

I see now. Nice looking pool ! Is the yard side of the pool exposed or is the whole pool buried ?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. Exposed. 30 inches high on other side. Yard is sloped.

8. Back To Top    #8

Wind gets under my cover a lot. I just saw a wrap that you put around the cover for 22 at pool world. . I'm thinking of trying that this year. The caps on my pool are 2 pieces and screwed on so I can't do that. Hope it works for you.
    33 ft round x 52", vinyl
    Hayward 1.5 hp pump
    sta-rite 2.18ft ,200 lb sand filter
    24500 gal.
    Hayward Salt & Swim3

9. Back To Top    #9

We plan on also zig-zagging rope across the top of our pool in order to help hold the cover down when the "winds come sweeping down the plains". Our thought is that it would decrease the size of the balloon.
    Diane

15,000 salty gallons - 24' x 12' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame Pool
    Intex Sand Filter, Pump, SWG - TF-100 and speed stir

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by CindyG1 View Post
    Wind gets under my cover a lot. I just saw a wrap that you put around the cover for 22 at pool world. . I'm thinking of trying that this year. The caps on my pool are 2 pieces and screwed on so I can't do that. Hope it works for you.
    We use the cover wrap, 3rd winter, and it definitely does its job! My pool gets the brunt of winter storm winds and never have had any issues with cover coming off.
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

11. Back To Top    #11

For me it wasn't the wind so much as it was the force of it after it gets under the cover. You might not be chasing the cover but those caps are going to come off or break. I promise you that. They are not strong enough to hold that cover in place. Now if you get that wrap and wrap you might salvage them but the wind will still blow the cover around which is what will flip those caps off or rip the cover. Once its ripped the wind will have it off in no time. I hate to sound like Debbie Downer but just being realistic.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

instead of using critical parts of your pool, I would suggest weaving in rope/cable around pool, hanging jugs of water/sand, and then wraping top edge in plastic shrink wrap to help keep wind out of pool.... i did all of that without the wrap last year and was 100% successful... doing the wrap to keep wind down this year.
    24 ft Sharkline Matrix AG
    Waterway 1HP 2SPD Sand Filter 100lb sand capacity, using 50lb of ZeoSand
    TAYLOR K-2006 test kit.
    Installed Spring 2013
    16x16 Deck Going up Soon.