How to prevent algae even when I stay on top of chemicals

PoolStudent

LifeTime Supporter
May 15, 2014
Central Florida
I have been testing my pool daily for FC, CC and pH and have not had my FC go below 4 for a CYA of 30ish. My CC has not gone above 0.5. I also try and keep the pH at 7.4 to 7.5.

I run my pump at 1000 rpm for 10 hours and 1500 rpm for 2 hours each day.

I have been brushing the pool twice a week and vacuuming once a week.

My water has been very clear, and it got a bit grayish today cause I brushed everything up. We have been getting a lot of rain again. I started a SLAM and it should be a short one and I know I need to pass the 3 tests.

Can I fix my problem by running the pump at a higher rpm for a few hours? Something like 1000 rpm for 9 hours and 2000 rpm for 3 hours, and maybe I can cut down the hours I run the pump at 1000 if I do this. Or is the best solution to just get a pool cleaner and run it a few times a week.

Are you sure it was algae and not just dirt or plaster dust in the pool? When I sweep mine I always get a grayish "cloud", but it's not algae.

Proper chlorination will keep the bad stuff away.

My pool robot cleans this stuff up. I usually run it once/twice a week.

Well I found that my filter's pressure went up from 2 psi to 4 psi. I cleaned it out this morning and the pressure went down. This was down at 1500 rpm. I'm thinking I might do the filter pressure test at a higher rpm so that I can see a more substantial pressure reading.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I would highly recommend you read the pressures at a higher RPM to know when you get a 20-25% pressure rise indicating a need to clean it.

Also, the liquid filled gauges from tftestkits.net are really nice and easier to read since they are larger and only go from 0-30psi with 0.5psi lines.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.