Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to prevent algae even when I stay on top of chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

How to prevent algae even when I stay on top of chemicals

I have been testing my pool daily for FC, CC and pH and have not had my FC go below 4 for a CYA of 30ish. My CC has not gone above 0.5. I also try and keep the pH at 7.4 to 7.5.

I run my pump at 1000 rpm for 10 hours and 1500 rpm for 2 hours each day.

I have been brushing the pool twice a week and vacuuming once a week.

My water has been very clear, and it got a bit grayish today cause I brushed everything up. We have been getting a lot of rain again. I started a SLAM and it should be a short one and I know I need to pass the 3 tests.

Can I fix my problem by running the pump at a higher rpm for a few hours? Something like 1000 rpm for 9 hours and 2000 rpm for 3 hours, and maybe I can cut down the hours I run the pump at 1000 if I do this. Or is the best solution to just get a pool cleaner and run it a few times a week.
    16K gallon in ground plaster pool
    Hayward star clear plus c1202 Cartridge filter
    4 speed Pentair Intelliflo Pump
    TF-100 w/Speed Stir
    Manual Brush and Vacuum

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to prevent algae even when I stay on top of chemicals

Are you sure it was algae and not just dirt or plaster dust in the pool? When I sweep mine I always get a grayish "cloud", but it's not algae.

Proper chlorination will keep the bad stuff away.

My pool robot cleans this stuff up. I usually run it once/twice a week.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

It was greenish when I swept the floor. Other times I see a little white powder move around. It is hard for me to tell if it was algae or just dirt as it was mostly on the bottom but all over the pool.

TF-100 w/Speed Stir
    Manual Brush and Vacuum

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by PoolStudent View Post
    It was greenish when I swept the floor. Other times I see a little white powder move around. It is hard for me to tell if it was algae or just dirt as it was mostly on the bottom but all over the pool.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm going to bet if you do a OCLT tonight you will pass.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

Last time I called it an algae bloom could have been dirt too cause I never failed the oclt test. Could be my filter but the pressure hasn't gone up on the gauge and it seems to be working.

TF-100 w/Speed Stir
    Manual Brush and Vacuum

6. Back To Top    #6

I find that I'm always second guessing myself. It may be time to relax and fire up the blender.

7. Back To Top    #7

Well I found that my filter's pressure went up from 2 psi to 4 psi. I cleaned it out this morning and the pressure went down. This was down at 1500 rpm. I'm thinking I might do the filter pressure test at a higher rpm so that I can see a more substantial pressure reading.

TF-100 w/Speed Stir
    Manual Brush and Vacuum

8. Back To Top    #8

I would highly recommend you read the pressures at a higher RPM to know when you get a 20-25% pressure rise indicating a need to clean it.

Also, the liquid filled gauges from tftestkits.net are really nice and easier to read since they are larger and only go from 0-30psi with 0.5psi lines.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!