Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump overheating, is there an internal cooling fan in an Intex swg/sand pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump overheating, is there an internal cooling fan in an Intex swg/sand pump?

I have an Intex swg/sand pump. It was working fine until yesterday. It quit running. It was over heated and smelled weird. I was blowing out the bottom with air compressor to make sure the vents were clear. I could here something blowing around in the case. I removed the screws for the cover, couldn't completely remove cover. Two things fell out, four square, clear pieces of plastic AND chunks of a small snake. Is there an internal cooling fan in the case? Did the snake kill my pump? Thanks for any help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump overheating, is there an internal cooling fan in an Intex swg/sand pump?

It sounds like the snake broke the blades off the cooling fan. There may be more blades left, but they probably won't cool the motor effectively. Do you have pictures of the pieces?
    30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump overheating, is there an internal cooling fan in an Intex swg/sand pump?

These are about 1 inch square, three sides are smooth and one side feels like it is broken. Sorry no pics of the snake pieces! Can the cooling fan be replaced?blades.jpg

4. Back To Top    #4

I can't find any info about any pump replacement parts online. Just fittings, orings, and valves. You can call them, but I bet that's not a part they sell separately. If it was me, I would get a bottle of gorilla glue and glue those blades back on. They should have virtually no stress on them pushing air, and gorilla glue is crazy strong anyway.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

I am going to try to glue them..thanks!

6. Back To Top    #6

Good luck